Postpartum bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trashcan

Reaction score
My bunny Linda had an unplanned litter this year and the babies went to their new homes, my concern is I’m nervous she may be pregnant again. Her litter only had 1 boy and when they went to their homes today they were just around up on 10 weeks old. I am probably overthinking it because I normally hang out with her 3 times a day, by the time I go in her room at 10 pm she has eaten a whole days worth of veggies, hay and pellets but I’m somehow very unaware of how her belly should actually feel. She is a free roam bunny sort of, has her own room so a lot of space to exercise. When I try to feel for babies her stomach just feels hard and round but I have not felt the marbles at any point in the last two weeks, most vets have told me the baby likely didn’t get her pregnant before being 10 weeks old and my partner insists she just might be getting chunky and I’m forgetting she ate all day but I’m just looking for advice on what she should feel like and what to search for?

No way to tell for sure but to wait. But right, 10 weeks would be very, very early, although I've read rumors of this happening in very small breeds.

To get an idea if your bunny gets fat feel her spine, shoulder blades and hip, they should be noticeable and she shouldn't be one smooth furry ball.

It might be that she doesn't move that much alone, that she enjoys eating alone after all that or that she's a food hog anyway, you can reduce pellets and veggies (calorie rich ones like roots etc.) to the level she really needs.

I don't palpate. I'm not getting any conclusive hints anyway until it's obvious. What I look for is at them running, watched from the rear a pregnant bunny somehow looks like she swallowed an orange whole, a fat rabbit moves like a maggot :D. There can be behavioral hints too, but those caan vary individually. Nest building and fur plucking are signs to get everything ready though, just in case it's not a false pregnancy.

No way to tell for sure but to wait. But right, 10 weeks would be very, very early, although I've read rumors of this happening in very small breeds.

To get an idea if your bunny gets fat feel her spine, shoulder blades and hip, they should be noticeable and she shouldn't be one smooth furry ball.
Isn’t it dangerous to possibly wait for a litter that is offspring of a mother son pair? I’ve heard that in-breeding is a huge issue in the rabbit community and do not want to contribute to that in any way. Should I look into an emergency spay to be safe? Thanks! Im gonna check if she’s just chonky tonighy.

Well, of course you can have her spayed, not a bad idea for pets anyway. But no, inbreeding is not the problem people think it is, it is vastly misunderstood.

My bunny Linda had an unplanned litter this year and the babies went to their new homes, my concern is I’m nervous she may be pregnant again. Her litter only had 1 boy and when they went to their homes today they were just around up on 10 weeks old. I am probably overthinking it because I normally hang out with her 3 times a day, by the time I go in her room at 10 pm she has eaten a whole days worth of veggies, hay and pellets but I’m somehow very unaware of how her belly should actually feel. She is a free roam bunny sort of, has her own room so a lot of space to exercise. When I try to feel for babies her stomach just feels hard and round but I have not felt the marbles at any point in the last two weeks, most vets have told me the baby likely didn’t get her pregnant before being 10 weeks old and my partner insists she just might be getting chunky and I’m forgetting she ate all day but I’m just looking for advice on what she should feel like and what to search for?
Hi, 10 weeks a bit early but not impossible. I had this kind of experience myself and wasn't great. You won't be able to feel anything right now even if she is pregnant since it is definitely less than one week given that he is only 10 weeks now, also if they are dwarf breed it is more likely since they sexually active earlier. If they are larger breed the chances that she is pregnant again would be slimmer.
But if you have a spay option I'd definitely go for it, even if she is not pregnant.

Latest posts

Back