Post spay surgery issue

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffery

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just seeing if anyone has any idea or opinion for our current situation. Holly, a female dwarf rabbit 8 months old just had her procedure done last Friday. Over the weekend it developed into complication where the surgery wound kept opening. That led us to a few emergency visit and overnight stay.
Initially she wasn't given a collar on (and I understand that rabbits usually don't get given one), but eventually when she was discharged on Monday morning, she was given a collar to prevent her from nibbling on the wound. She was also given some antibiotics and anti-inflammatory for pain. Her behaviour was rather annoyed, stressed, upset (as expected from the collar), she constantly tries to groom herself but failed. The odd thing she also does is when she moves, her hind leg would do a quick strong flick. She has been eating and pooping alright, not the best.
Then comes yesterday night as we were asleep, she had managed to get the collar off and this morning we found her wound opened again.
Has anyone had experience with the constant closing and reopening of their wounds? I think the fact that she flicks her leg gradually led to the opening of the wound as well.

Any help is much appreciate!

Where is wound? If it was a spaying wound I heard someone say clip her nails and put socks on their feet so if they try to itch it doesn't work as well and try your best to keep the cone on. the socks would hopefully help the cone stay on.

Wound is just on her belly, vet suggested also to put socks over the feet and the belly so maybe it may have to be the case.

Latest posts

Back