Post-Spay Pen Set-Up

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maylinagurl3

Reaction score
Hi all, my bun is getting her spay surgery in a couple of weeks, and I'm currently getting ready for the procedure. Right now, she has this hidey hole: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/ware-farmers-market-natures-house-for-rabbits

Sometimes, she'll jump on top of it. Is this something that I should remove from her pen during her recovery? I'm afraid she'll tear her incision, but I also think she'd prefer to have some sort of hidey hole to hang out in during her recovery. If you think I should remove the hidey hole, are there alternatives I could use that a bun wouldn't be able to jump on top of?

My boy was neutered earlier this week and the first thing he did was run into his hidey house. And the second thing he did was jump on top of it 🙄. He was fine, but I know you need to be more careful with girls.

I had put a few items on top of his hidey house in the hope it would stop him jumping up, but I obviously didn’t do a very good job of it. Looking at yours, I think that might be quite difficult too.

I think I would be inclined to remove it for a few days, but I’m struggling to think of an alternative. It might be helpful to share a picture of your buns’ set-up to see if there’s anything else which might work?

My boy (again, not completely applicable) is free-roam, so I got him a medium sized dog crate for him to stay in for a few days after his surgery, to limit his movement. I felt bad, but it was for his own good and was only temporary.

He ended up not even noticing that he had surgery, and did not use it, but it was ready for him!

Thanks, all! I think the only other thing that I have that could be a hidey hole is this litter box enclosure that she uses.

unipaws Designer Cat Washroom Storage Bench, Litter Box Cover with Sturdy Wooden Structure, Spacious Storage, Easy Assembly, Fit Most of Litter Box https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H2CWXQJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_R68EGYS7D3NXZE7QHGWG

The entrance is about five inches off the ground, and I was worried that would be too much of a jump, so I was going to take it out of her enclosure and just use a low-sided litter box for the time being while she recovered. But now, I’m thinking this is probably a better alternative than the hidey hole I previously shared.

Latest posts

Back