Post-Spay Energy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maylinagurl3

Reaction score
Hi all, bun was spayed about 18 hours ago. It’s 5am the day after she was spayed. She’s been syringe-fed critical care throughout the Fay yesterday by the vet, and then again last night by me. I woke up at around 4 to check on her and handfed her some alfalfa hay and two pieces of lettuce. For the last hour, she’s been sitting/laying down in her litter box and eating the food I’ve handed to her. Now, she’s stopped eating and is laying down in the litter box. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? I can’t check her incision site, because she’s laying on it, but would she be eating/laying down in her litter box if she tore the incision site? Thanks in advance.

Update: she took a couple more pieces of alfalfa hay and about 4.5-5mLs of water by syringe before loafing in her litter box and closing her eyes. I’m considering that maybe she’s just sleepy because it’s 5am and am going to let her be.

It is a major surgery after all.

One of my retired does, 7yo, 9lbs, had an emergency spay 2 weeks ago (surprise pregnancy, torn kit stuck all night, was in a really bad shape, vet wasn't optimistic to say the least) . What I was doing was giving her water regularily (10-20ml, took that rather willingly), and 2 times a day added Simethicone to prevent any gas problems. Also Metacam, they eat better without pain.
Energy level was down for a week, but she really was on the brink to the other realm.

And I tried to get her eating on her own after some force feeding, since mine is used to greens I gathered the most yummy weeds and different grasses for her (hogweed, yarrow, goutweed, narrowleafe plantain, dandelion, all kinds of grasses and some other stuff) and held against it against her mouth until she bit into the grass out of pure annoyance - but once it was in her mouth she ate it. Did that for some time every other hour or so, as long until she really refused.
You can get a long way with rabbits when you have more patience than them.

I would rather feed grass hay if she eats that, and even some safe greens like narrowleaf plantain, rose leafes, bramble leafes, apple leafes etc. I would think she needs volume in her stomach to get things going, not so much extra rich high protein stuff.
What is her normal diet?

Last edited:
Hi all, bun was spayed about 18 hours ago. It’s 5am the day after she was spayed. She’s been syringe-fed critical care throughout the Fay yesterday by the vet, and then again last night by me. I woke up at around 4 to check on her and handfed her some alfalfa hay and two pieces of lettuce. For the last hour, she’s been sitting/laying down in her litter box and eating the food I’ve handed to her. Now, she’s stopped eating and is laying down in the litter box. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? I can’t check her incision site, because she’s laying on it, but would she be eating/laying down in her litter box if she tore the incision site? Thanks in advance.

Did the vet send you home with pain meds for her?

Ovariohysterectomy. Three children born by C-section so I understand a bit of discomfort with any surgery procedure. I was a bit uncomfortable for the hours post-surgery. Analgesics helped. Ditto wrt @Blue eyes question.

All our girls were groggy for a while post-spay surgeries as the buprenorphine injection wore off.

I hope you'll see she's eating more enthusiastically in a day or two. Offer thin strands of hay to your post-surgery girl and her fave greens. Thank for being ultra-concerned and asking Qs.

Post-surgical care notes mentioned in the link below:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

Hi all! Thanks for your insight! My little girl’s energy and appetite have increased greatly! She’s still not eating as much as she was before, but she’s started eating hay, pellets, and veggies all on her own. The vet gave us some meloxicam for her to take, and she hasn’t missed one dose so far. I’m having trouble getting a clear look at her incision site, so it’s hard to tell how it’s doing, but I’m hoping that the improves energy and appetite mean she’s not in too much pain. She’s also been flopping a lot.

Latest posts

Back