Post Spay Advice Please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenni

Reaction score
Gretchen is being spayed on Monday by a very experience rabbit vet. I feel very comfortable with his knowledge of bunnies.

When I talked to the nurse today, she said that it was very important that Gretchen stay on her normal eating schedule before and after the surgery.

I thought that having some of her favorite foods ready for her when she gets home might be a good idea--incase she is inclined not to eat.

The nurse also told me that she will have some perscription medicine. Does anyone know how this usually works.

Any suggestions about anything? I am not sure what to expect. And although I am comfortable with the vet, I am a little worried about the recovery.

Rabbits MUST eat. Since rabbits (and goats) can't vomit, there is no reason to fast your bunny prior to surgery. It is unlikely that she will go off her feed after surgery but the medication may interfere with her digestion and she may have diarrhea. Make sure she gets pain meds. Too many vets don't think a rabbit needs pain meds post spay. WRONG. Depending on the medication you are to give, if it is a liquid - and most are flavored - you'd draw up the required amount in a syringe (no needle) and give it orally. My bunnies always grabbed the syringes and practically sucked the medication out of the syringe.

You should keep her as quiet as possible post surgery. No jumping. If you must pick her up, do it carefully and avoid the incision area. Rabbit spays are closed with tissue glue and self-dissolving sutures underneath so there are no sutures to remove. Watch to see that she doesn't chew her incision; rabbits hate e-collars. Make sure she has plenty of hay and water. She should be back to her normal self after a few days - they recover amazingly fast provided they don't get an infection. If you see any redness, oozing, swelling call the vet.

Roena

Thanks!
The nurse told me she will have pain meds. And she was very insistent that Gretchen eats. Now I know why.

She loves to jump. Thanks for the heads up. Being on pain meds may actually cause her to hurt herself if she doesn't feel much pain. I won't let her get too excited.

I've never been through a spay, and Lago-luver has covered the basics, so she should be fine. I don't know the deisgn of her cage, but make it so she can't be bouncing off the walls. Limit her activity and exercise to a minimum.

It's not rare for a rabbit to go off eating after the spay, so just moniter her food intake and poop and pee.

Hope all goes well! :)

If her cage has multiple levels, it's a good idea to block them off and keep her only in the lowest level for a few days. Also, have something on hand that you can warm up. Some petstores sell animal-safe heating pads, or you could warm up towels or a sock stuffed with dry rice. Warmth can ease the soreness and it also encourages the healing process.

Oh, and does she like canned pumpkin? I've found that it works great for hiding meds in. Or a small bit of mashed banana or unsweetened applesauce. Unlike Lago-lover, my bun who had oral pain meds did not appreciate them!

One more tip- all three of my girls appreciated it when I held their food for them for the first day after their spay. They ate way more veggies and hay from my hand than their bowls and hay racks.

Thanks. She has a shelf in her cage that she jumps on. I think I will take that out. I'll use all of your suggestions. Thanks so much.

It's also a good idea to temporarily switch her bedding to shredded newspaper during the recovery period. That way, no dust can work its way into the incision.

After Holly's spayshe didnt like her meds at first, but after a while she'd go right to the syringe and didnt have any problems. She actually had stitches that had to be removed. She managed to pull one out herself and the rest stayed put. Gretchen will have a bald tummy fora while, but eventually the fur will grow back.;)

Tomorrow's the big day. Is it okay to keep her confined to a much smaller cage for a day ortwo? I bought a small dog crate and lined it with wee-wee pads and thought about housing her in there for the first 24 hours so she wouldn't hurt herself.

Good luck to you and gretchen!! Mocha was spayed about 3 weeks ago and she came out of it beautifully. She didnt need any pain meds and was playing by the second day. I wish gretchen has just as fast as a recovery!!I'll be thinking of you guys on her big day tomorrow!

Aww goodluck on monday!,it feels pretty weird me saying that because it is monday here in Australia,when Gretchen has her spay it will be Tuesday for us Aussies lol

I'm sure everything will go well with Gretchen and she will be back to her bunny little self in no time:)

:clover::clover:

cheryl

Latest posts

Back