Post neuter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinnabunn

Reaction score
How many weeks after do you guys suggest male can be re introduced to female rabbit? My male was neutered 6 weeks ago. Is it safe now? And more importantly can he NO longer get her pregnant. I want be really sure before allowing him near her again lol…

5-6 weeks is the parameter I say, though it is not something I have personally "tested" in any way -- it's based on literature cited on Wabbitwiki.

That being said, are you planning to bond your male and female? If so, spaying her will better ensure a secure and stable bond. In addition, there's a high risk of uterine cancer in female: Spaying and neutering rabbits - WabbitWiki

5-6 weeks is the parameter I say, though it is not something I have personally "tested" in any way -- it's based on literature cited on Wabbitwiki.

That being said, are you planning to bond your male and female? If so, spaying her will better ensure a secure and stable bond. In addition, there's a high risk of uterine cancer in female: Spaying and neutering rabbits - WabbitWiki
Yes! Of course I am, she already has her appointment scheduled . Just asking because in case he or she escapes into one another’s area again I don’t want any accidental litters again. But yes, I agree spaying and neutering is the way to go.

Latest I've read of an accidental pregnancy occurring from a neutered male, is 6 weeks. So at least one more week for your rabbit, but like the others said, 8 weeks is safest.

If the female is not yet spayed, there is no benefit (only risk) in allowing them to interact before she is spayed. By risk, I'm not referring to pregnancy but to them sabotaging their chances of a bond in the future.

With her hormones still intact, their behavior will be affected (hers by her hormones, and his behavior can also be affected by her hormones). So if they are allowed together now, they may fight, which could destroy their chances of bonding after she is spayed. But even if they get along, it won't make any headway toward their bond because she will return from the vet... 1. needing to be kept separate while she heals (separation breaks bonds) and, 2. her scent and behavior will have changed making him react to her as a different rabbit.

Latest posts

Back