Post-Neuter/Spay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirstin

Reaction score
I fixed two of my Hollands yesterday (a girl and a boy), and today, they still have hardly eaten. Should I be worried? I know that a spay/neuter is a pretty big surgery, so it's bound to decrease appetite quite a bit. Both have a taken a few sips of water, but still only barely. Should I worry at this point...?

:?:?:?

Are they alert? How do the incisions look ?It sounds like they need pain meds.. was the vet who did the surgeries experienced with rabbits ? I would give the office a call and make sure the rabbits remain hydrated. You can get some pedialyte for them and hydrate them using a syringeor better yet offer fresh greens assometimes it is the only thing they want to eat the first few days.

Have they eaten or pooped? If not, bring them to the vet immediately. The boy should recover fairly quickly as the surgery is less invasive.

I took em to the vet yesterday and the female had a very hard stomach -- her digestive system had nearly shut down. I'm glad I took her to the vet. The male had swelling "down there", so they gave him some pain meds. They also gave both fluids and critical care. They have started nibbling on their food a little. Yay!

This particular vet isn't exactly rabbit-savvy... he works with livestock and cats/dogs more. That's the last time I go to him to get bunnies fixed. :p

Every vet has to learn new procedures at some time. You usually hope it isn't on your own bunnies, but the reality is that it happens sometimes. I am sure this was a learning experience for the vet as well. They don't cover rabbits very well in most vet schools, especially if the vet specialized in large animal (ie farm animal) medicine.

Latest posts

Back