Post Neuter Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biscuitbuns

Reaction score
Hi! This is my first post so hopefully this is the right area to be posting this.
Backstory:
Biscuit was neutered on October 28th. I was told she was a female until the surgery, so forgive the pronoun confusion. She has a spay incision and a neuter incision. The first week home she did not use a cone or shirt, but at her one week checkup, the vet said she had been chewing badly at the neuter incision and has some testicle swelling, so I was advised to keep a cone on her 24/7 for a week. After 5 days she had chewed through 2 cones (velcro off the first one, drawstring off the second one) so we moved up her appointment and the chewing had gotten worse so we tried a medical shirt instead and they kept her at the vet for 2 days to monitor her.
The shirt seems to be working and she's otherwise doing great: eating, pooping, playful, all of that.
The vet advised me to check on her incision daily to make sure it looks okay, basically just make sure there's a scab and no fresh blood. I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for and I'm having trouble locating the incision. The vet said it's a single incision near the testicles, I've been trying to sift through her fur but she's very wiggly and does not like to be held so it's been difficult.
Anyone have any advice on what I should be looking for, what a healthy incision would look like? what scabbing looks like? and any other signs of infection or damage, etc.?
Additionally, she is on 7 units of medicam and 20 units of antibiotics every day.
Thank you!

More info: she's a 7 month old Holland Lop. Our next appointment is scheduled 1 week from today. She has been in the shirt for 5 days now, and the vet said to keep her in it until the next appointment. I'm considering asking them to move up the appointment so she doesn't have to stay in the shirt any longer than necessary.

Latest posts

Back