Post Neuter Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYAngela

Reaction score
Snowflake got neutered on Monday and everything went well (thank god) he’s been home since Wednesday & today is the first day we’ve let him out of his pen to free roam again. He’s got a few spots he’s been marking the mat by the front door, the bathroom. I know it will take several weeks for the hormones to dissipate. But what do I do? I took the mat away (he still peed/pooped in that spot anyway) Will keeping the mat there (protecting my floor) reinforce the marketing behavior?
I get there’s a chance he may still mark just trying to be optimistic and know how to set ourselves up for success.

I agree that if he's consistently peeing in a particular spot, it's easiest to try and put a litter box there temporarily, until the hormones fade enough that you can then try removing the extra litter box.
It’s hard because it’s the corner by our front door we wouldn’t be able to open and close it

Have you tried cleaning it really well with vinegar first and then some stronger floor cleaner? He may still be smelling where he went. You could also try to put down something slippery that he doesn't like getting on (thinking plastic place mat or cutting board maybe). Otherwise, pee pads (get the human ones and cut in half) worked well for me when ours was marking beside the fence to a new bunny's pen.

Have you tried cleaning it really well with vinegar first and then some stronger floor cleaner? He may still be smelling where he went. You could also try to put down something slippery that he doesn't like getting on (thinking plastic place mat or cutting board maybe). Otherwise, pee pads (get the human ones and cut in half) worked well for me when ours was marking beside the fence to a new bunny's pen.
I have but I’ll try again I suspect there’s been times it has seeped under the wood trim so there may be some lingering sent I may never be able to get out :(

I have noticed he’s peed on it less, but poops about the same.

It’s tile but my boy is quite agile and fearless LOL

I guess I should clarify that it's a half a 23” x 36” (human) pee pad underneath to catch stuff over the side, and two overlapped quarters inside. I used this when my bunny had surgery and couldn't jump in the regular litter box. Of course, this only works if your bunny leaves pee pads alone, and doesn't dig or chew them up! For larger bunnies, the lids off banker's boxes work nicely.

Can you monitor Snowflake when he is having playtime hours and when he might approach the corner spot he is peeing at? With free roam time it is difficult to chaperone every single minute, however might be a start to discouraging a fave toiletry area he selected.

You can gently instruct him once he gets in the squat and tail lift position with words, "use you litter box, Snowflake, use your litter pan"... ( "oh, that's a good boy!!" or "I am so proud of you using your litter box" when he is in his pan with hay nearby). Yah, it takes a while after neuter to learn more diligent habits.

Had you purchased a brand new mat for the front door instead of using the older one with marking scent?

Our recently neutered male, 6 months young, has expanded play space now since his neuter 4 weeks ago. We are going thru gentle instructions after he had sprayed everywhere and would mark with marbles while sharing free roam time with two other sp/eutered buns.

Sometimes we make a favored spot less accessible by placing a furniture item etc. while training continues.

Latest posts

Back