Post Anesthesia?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiquita090

Reaction score
Has anybody ever experienced bunnies having a bad reaction to anesthesia? He got x-rays yesterday under anesthesia. I posted the good news the vet gave me under "Calvin Update" on the forum... But anyway, he's been acting depressed/sick since last night.

After the x rays, the vet also drained the abscess. Could he have done it wrong or something and Calvin's reacting to that? I tend to think it's the anesthesia though, all he did to abscess was poke a little hole and let it drain out, nothing major.

Calvin's eating ok butit just seems he has no energy or desire to do anything except lay/sleep in his cage. Any thoughts?

he's probably just tired ;) mr lickswas pretty sedate after he had x-rays and such too.. as long as he'seating, i'd give him a day or so to recover.. lots of excitement for alil guy :)

Is he on an antibiotic? I can't remember from your other thread.

Sometimes antibiotics will actually "speed up" an illness and will make a person/pet feel a little worse for a short time.

Also, anesthesia can make them quite "calm" for a short time (24 hours or so).

If he's eating that's great. I think I might get some of thatNutriCal that Carolyn and all the others recommend so much.It can't hurt and might pick up his immune system. (I thinkthat is what it's for... kinda like a nice boost of vitamins and stuff)

Chiquita,

Often times, the day after a treatment where they've undergoneanesthesia, many rabbits have no energy. You might want to give himsome NutriCal to help boost his immune system. (An inch - as it comesin a tube like toothpaste.)

Keep a close eye on his eating, drinking, and pooping. If he's grindinghis teeth, stops eating, drinking, is hunched up, or appears very weak,I'd call the doctor in the morning.

In the meantime, I'd try to keep him as calm and relaxed as possible.He's been through some troubled days and he may simply just beabsolutely wiped out from being messed with. Hopefully you'll see amuch improved Calvin by tomorrow. It takes a day or a day and 1/2. Iwouldn't panic yet, but I would watch him closely and spend time withthe little man.

Did the doctor give you any instructions to perform a daily cleaning ofthe area? It's really important to ask him about that if you haven't.

-Carolyn

You guys were right...I think he was just tired.Him being sleepy was the most logical answer I thought but it seemed tolast so long. I took him home after x rays at 2pm yesterday and all hedid was lay in his cage and occasionally eat, this lasted for a littleover 24 hours. I've taken him on little outings before and he's beentired afterwards but only for an hour or 2, so you can see why I gotworried.

I stayed home all day today so that I could keep an on him but neededto go to the store to buy some more applesauce etc to mix his meds inwith. My mom lives real close to me, so I had her come over andbunnysit for me while I was gone. Before I left he was still being lazyand insisting on staying in his cage...when I got back I saw that hewas out and asked her what made him come out. She said as soon I lefthe hopped out and was hopping all around the room. Uh huh, gee thanksCalvin...

He's such a faker...

Awww, I'm so glad he's doing better :)

Bo slept on me after his surgery for a whole day I think. Of course I didn't mind at all! I love cuddling him :)

Let's hope all that infection and stuff is behind Calvin now, so he can get back to his normal little self :)

rabbits like people can have reactions toanesthesia. All have a thresh hold of tolerance. Ihad a reaction and when I woke up I could not stay still. Didyou call the vet

ed

chiquita090 wrote:
You guys were right...I think he was just tired. Him beingsleepy was the most logical answer I thought but it seemed to last solong. I took him home after x rays at 2pm yesterday and all he did waslay in his cage and occasionally eat, this lasted for a little over 24hours. I've taken him on little outings before and he's been tiredafterwards but only for an hour or 2, so you can see why I got worried.

I stayed home all day today so that I could keep an on him but neededto go to the store to buy some more applesauce etc to mix his meds inwith. My mom lives real close to me, so I had her come over andbunnysit for me while I was gone. Before I left he was still being lazyand insisting on staying in his cage...when I got back I saw that hewas out and asked her what made him come out. She said as soon I lefthe hopped out and was hopping all around the room. Uh huh, gee thanksCalvin...

He's such a faker...
Who has who trained?:D

Ed

Latest posts

Back