POSSIBLY TOXIC TOYS?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo B Bunny

Reaction score
I thought about something tonight and i wanted to share it with everyone here and see if anyone else has had any experience with these products.

Some of the petstores are carrying these little logs, huts, and the like that are formed from hay and other products so they are ok to eat, and play, live, in ........ they are so cute so we bought one for our rat a while back. Within the week we lost her. We are SURE it was this log. I won't go near the things and wanted to tell everyone just incase you see them....... be really careful!

Anyone else have them? any issues?

Here is an example:

eo02205.jpg

it's scarry to think about what they put out there and how safe is it really?

Sorry for you loss, and hopefully if it was the "house" someone else can be saved by this. --g

Thanks. That's my hope - I just don't trust those things. It makes me so mad that they market this stuff for little animals that is SO dangerous for them!

I haven't heard of any problems with that particular toy, but with all that's going on who knows. Have you contacted the company that makes it? If it's made in China, who knows what's in it.

I'm so sorry you lost your rattie.

No, it's been awhile and it was so sad that I didn't even think about contacting them. I'll check things out on it and see what I find out.

This product's ingredients include....

PINE SHAVINGS.

:?

Always, always, always find ingredients on such products before giving them to your animals. We may think that they are safe, but they are not. Most toys/treats bought for our small animals from the pet stores are HORRID for them.

As for rats, please never buy any treats from the small animal section of the pet store unless they are Yogurt Drops (yoggies), and a rat should get one or two of these a week. As for pet store rat food, they are horrible for your rats. Rats fed a seed mix or poor quality lab blocks from the pet store live an obese life and have a shortened life span.

If ANYONE wants a homemade rat food mix to feed to your rats using cereals, grains, and high quality lab block or dog fodd, then please PM me and I will glady give it to you. You will see a huge perk in your rats after being fed this natural mix.

If you really think about it....rats are so similar to humans that they actually EAT most things that human's eat. Our diets are almost identical...the healthy ones, atleast.

yeah, isn't that awful! I knew something was wrong but I never saw the pine shavings! :XI always hear NO CEDAR and be careful with the Pine.

We used to get our rats those yogurt drops but not the ones named Yogies. She loved the berry ones. She got one about 2 x per week and a cheerio one time a week with the others. She also got a nibble of "salad" with the bunnies too. Usually a stalk of cilantro LOL! that's like a blade of grass! LMAO!

My daughter misses her rats. They just never did live long. One thing was that I didn't know about cedar. Before the bunnies I thought cedar was fine. I would get them pine shavings all year and then for Christmas I would get them a bag of cedar - they always died near Christmas :(I was so stupid.

One of her rats really used to sit in her lap at the center of a book while she read it to her. I swear to you, that rat looked at the pictures LOL!

Did you feed your rats "meals"? I feed mine breakfast and dinner. Yes, I cook it for them!

Let me know if you need any healthy food tips for rats. I just sent "killertheturtle" a nice long list of meals for rats and my homemade mixture.

Yes, we still feed the bunnies "meals"....... Bo and Clover are always nosing out their cages when they hear my alarm each morning - "Mommy up! it bwekfuss time!"

We don't have any rats at the moment but if we get another pair, I'll let you know. I really miss having them.

That's awful!!!

I'm sorry for your lose.

Now it's got me thinking about other toys and things that people buy for their pets. And how safe they REALLY are.

You know what?! I just picked up the RABBITS USA magazine (i think it comes out in Jan of every year... lol) and 2 places ONE ON THE BACK COVER!!! advertise these exact things!!!

Maybe it wasn't the toy, but in my gut - I just know it was!

Bump!

These huts sent Iluvmybuns Julia into stasis. Theyre pure sugar (and a whole load of other crap) and defintely not good for the buns.

:shock:I am so glad I read this. I was planning on going to buy some toys for Thumper and Peaches this weekend, and I was eyeing the hut! Thx for the info!

I'm sorry for your losses. :tears2:

I feel better knowing we have talked about them on here. I didn't want to make something seem bad if it wasn't - cause we don't know for sure. Now I think we are finding that they aren't something to let our bunnies have. It's too bad cause they are really cute! I wish I could do something like that with some wood. It would take me days and they'd rip it to shreds in minutes LOL!

OMG. So good to know this. I luckily never bought these fancy toys for my buns.. I don't trust ingredients so well either since most of the pet store bunny treats are terrible for the animal, I'm wary of them. What a shock. Our local rescue organization really drilled into me buying natural toys, so I really got in the habit of using cardboard, boxes, sticks, and baby-safe plastic toys or blankets/towels/cotton pillows.

These huts look so fun too, sheesh :(. Very sorry for your loss!

They sell these over here too! I remember seeing them when we got Mouse and Chalk, but I never got them because I couldn't see how that brown stuff could be edible for rabbits!

I'd never ever buy them....

!!

i used to buy those for my chinchilla, and the logs for my guinea pig.

my chinchilla died in october, she wasn't even 2 years old,i really really hope this isn't what made her ill

They are actually selling these now as little bite sized treats! There's no way I would ever give one to mine again. I know in my heart that log killed my daughter's rat. She was FINE before we got it and dead within days of getting it.

:(

Latest posts

Back