Possibly Rescuing Senior Bunny - Advice Wanted

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Nancy McClelland Ahh okay maybe I’ll keep him in the office then. Both my boyfriend and I spend most of our free time on our computers, so he’d be able to hang out with us, but have his own room I can secure when needed. I’ll check out the House Rabbit Society today!
@HalaBuns I agree I think the old guys and girls are just as cute if not cuter than the younger buns! ❤️
Just make sure you rabbit proof your electric cords. Cut open a garden hose and duct tape them in.

@skipidragon that’s a great idea too! I’ve been wondering if I could also get those stick on wall hangers to elevate all the wires, as well.

My mom called and told me he did a binky for her today when she brought him his greens. :) And that he actually is on a bedding of hay, so that’s a relief!

Thanks for putting up with my ramblings, all, been all over the place because of the move so sorry if I repeat myself sometimes or seem all over the place. Really excited to get this guy and the waiting is making me overthink. :)

Congratulations and well done bringing him in to live out his remaining life in a loving home! I adopted a 7/8ish year old bun last October when his owner died unexpectedly. He lived in a loving home with her but she had rescued him from a neglectful situation and then after her passing he had a bit of trauma with animal control having to capture him and boarding him for a week before I could get him. He's still a bit skittish about humans but he gets better every day. I don't think I'll ever be able to pick him up but now he loves for me to rub his head and cheeks! He gets just a wee amount of pellets and prefers to eat them out of my hand. I also have two cats and a dog (who he absolutely adores). At treat time the cats and the dog all sit and high-five for their treats. Now the bun joins them and does the periscope for his treat (cilantro) and I tell ya, I'm not hating this life at all. It's pretty darn cute!

The first two weeks were an adventure in bunny proofing. He ate right through nylon cords and chewed on pvc piping. I learnt real quick to cover the outlets, run all cords and cables UP. I bought these to put over the outlets and I run the cords out of the top. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007IUOG5A

And these have been wonderful! I put them around my entertainment center and work station to keep him out of the cables https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XTG94TH

From my experience (and I'm certainly no expert!), you may want to use those panels to create an open air pen for him for the first couple weeks so he can get accustomed to being indoors and being around you. Also, to establish his litter area so when he does get to free roam he'll know his place to pee and go back to it.

It took about 3 months for mine to really get comfortable. When he did realise that he's safe he just one day completely changed; doing the bunny flop, binkies and running to me for affections and food. He absolutely adores the cats and I think that helped for him to see them always following me and being affectionate. One day, I received a delivery that required a signature. I was signing for it and heard 'OMG THAT'S SO CUTE!' looked down and he was standing next to me at the door doing the periscope to the driver. We've got a thing now...

Again, congratulations! I look forward to pictures!

@SomeBunny2Love omg he sounds adorable!! That’s wonderful you showed him how to trust again - he sounds like such a sweetie. Do you have any pics?
I’ve only interacted with Rabeet/Bucky (think Bucky will be his middle name lol, I’m overthinking it :)) a couple times, I’ve never gotten to pet him, but he will come up and sniff you. My mom says he does binkies for his greens and loves her dog! He’s never taken out of the hutch though so we’ll see how he does with some runtime.

I have one of those standing play pens I was going to temporarily house him in, if it works well enough. I want to upgrade him to a NIC panel pin asap.

Only one more week till we’re driving out there, can’t believe it!

@SomeBunny2Love omg he sounds adorable!! That’s wonderful you showed him how to trust again - he sounds like such a sweetie. Do you have any pics?
I’ve only interacted with Rabeet/Bucky (think Bucky will be his middle name lol, I’m overthinking it :)) a couple times, I’ve never gotten to pet him, but he will come up and sniff you. My mom says he does binkies for his greens and loves her dog! He’s never taken out of the hutch though so we’ll see how he does with some runtime.

I have one of those standing play pens I was going to temporarily house him in, if it works well enough. I want to upgrade him to a NIC panel pin asap.

Only one more week till we’re driving out there, can’t believe it!
It's difficult to get pics, he's a fast one! But here's a few of my favs

Attachments

• 20230118_161838 (1).jpg
    20230118_161838 (1).jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230112_082833.jpg
    20230112_082833.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221215_103549.jpg
    20221215_103549.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
@SomeBunny2Love he is adorable!! I love black and white buns so much 🥰 And he looks so happy and adventurous with the kitties!
He LOVES the cats, always trying to snuggle in with them like 'Ssshh just let it happen and love me'. The white cat is still young and likes to tackle. He did it to the bun once and got kung-fu kicked in the head. Never happened again. Now the bun chases him. I look forward to seeing your bun and bird together!

Hi,

I'm new here and have been following you.

I adopted a dwarf lion head from a shelter. He was there one day surrendered by a family who kept him in a small cage and from what I can tell, the toddler terrorized him except for feeding him sweet cereals. He thumps whenever our lil neighbors are outside the window screeching. It's hilarious! He wouldn't eat hay. Will come from upstairs for a bag noise of cereal!!!

I toss a bit of Rosewood herbs from Walmart in with the hay. Then, when I adopted a friend for him, he followed her in eating hays. He only wanted Alfalpha. Then oat. Then orchard. It's a variety that does it. The hard cubes helped.

Hope this helps!

@littledina97 Thank you so much for the advice! I’ll definitely try different hays if he doesn’t take to timothy. I buy Oxbow Timothy already for my quail, so I have tons of it. Your little man sounds hysterical - thumping at little kids screeching, a bun after my own heart! 🤣
We also have a cat named Gilbert, he’s a big sweetie. He’s a huge cat, but Bucky’s big enough that I think they’ll be great friends! It’s encouraging to see all you guys’ buns get along the kitties!
We’re heading out in three days, since we’re leaving a day early I’ll grab Bucky on Saturday instead of Sunday. Can’t believe this weeks the week!! So excited, will have pics soon. In the mean time, here’s Gilbert. ❤️

Attachments

• 46630EC1-2E96-44A8-AC9B-2A0DCE647DFA.jpeg
    46630EC1-2E96-44A8-AC9B-2A0DCE647DFA.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
@littledina97 Thank you so much for the advice! I’ll definitely try different hays if he doesn’t take to timothy. I buy Oxbow Timothy already for my quail, so I have tons of it. Your little man sounds hysterical - thumping at little kids screeching, a bun after my own heart! 🤣
We also have a cat named Gilbert, he’s a big sweetie. He’s a huge cat, but Bucky’s big enough that I think they’ll be great friends! It’s encouraging to see all you guys’ buns get along the kitties!
We’re heading out in three days, since we’re leaving a day early I’ll grab Bucky on Saturday instead of Sunday. Can’t believe this weeks the week!! So excited, will have pics soon. In the mean time, here’s Gilbert. ❤️
Cute!!! A drawer cat 🐱🐇🐇🐇👍👍💕

I’m finally here in NJ! Moving into our place tomorrow, but I’m at my mom’s right now and I brought Bucky an organic kale/parlsey salad. He got so happy he was buzzing!! Omg I love him already guys! I even got on the ground with him and let him sniff my face, did not try to touch him yet of course!

Attachments

• 398878DF-AA49-4E18-8F4F-ADC326736352.jpeg
    398878DF-AA49-4E18-8F4F-ADC326736352.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Also - yes the hutch is awful. My parents never clean it. Can’t wait to set him up in his palace later 😄 He runs circles around the hutch and buzzes for me lol then he comes up and sniffs my face.

Attachments

• 0D43A6BB-4215-46D5-8AE4-E1425FD95C95.jpeg
    0D43A6BB-4215-46D5-8AE4-E1425FD95C95.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 0BF09CB9-7B95-42F9-93D8-85B55D6FF6EB.jpeg
    0BF09CB9-7B95-42F9-93D8-85B55D6FF6EB.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Aw what a lovely thing for you to do! He's so lucky you're taking him on, he'll appreciate being spoiled in his twilight years I'm sure 😍

Also - yes the hutch is awful. My parents never clean it. Can’t wait to set him up in his palace later 😄 He runs circles around the hutch and buzzes for me lol then he comes up and sniffs my face.
He’s so lucky to be going to such a caring home! I love the little ridge on his back from molting!

He’s home!!! Here’s what I have set up - I need to get one of those carpet pads from home depot for the bottom still, but it’s been pretty hectic over here with moving in and all!
He’s already eaten some greens, in the pic attached he’s lounging in his den. 😁
Besides that, we’ve been letting him settle in and claim his new turf. He’s definitely freaked out a little and needs rest!

Attachments

• 9A8541BE-4322-4CB4-B99D-5A222F488D4E.jpeg
    9A8541BE-4322-4CB4-B99D-5A222F488D4E.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back