Possibly getting turtle

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnylova4eva

Reaction score
^^that sums it up..how big of an aquarium? I"m thinking probably just for a red-eared slider is what I'd get. Not too sure yet. lol

thanks!

There isnt a single turtle out there that should live in less then 100 gallons. Their pretty dirty too, you would need quite the filtration system ($$$). Turtles are alot of work, and there are more then you or I can count sitting in rescues never to be adopted because theres just so many of them.

Agreed, RES need big aquariums with good filtration. They can get around 12". They need large aquariums with a big foot print(atleast 4'x18", 75g+) since they get big themselves and you need to provide an area for them to bask out of the water in. I've also never met a nice one. They always bite and scratch which can make cleaning and maintenance a bit scary.

But if you are able to provide a big enough tank and are willing to do everything maintenance wise then they are cool pets. The most important thing is to make sure you get the right lighting as they need special bulbs and heat lamps and it can get expensive.

I had a RES when I was younger and its much more work then any of my aquariums or my Box turtle. But RES were pretty neat pets. Just make sure you research a TON and are ready for the commitment.

Nancy McClelland wrote:
:yeahthat: You don't have to start off with giant tank. We had two 4 decades ago and our first tank was ten gallons as they were fairly small. They sure do grow though.
True enough if you buy a baby one. I forget that you can buy babies since its illegal here in our province to buy RES(but not own). So all the ones around here are adults and you can only get them at rescues or shelters, not pet stores.

Baby turtles are just about the cutest thing ever!

Oh and don't forget that a turtle can live for 40+ years. So its a LONG commitment! My rescued box turtle just turned 28 this year! I've had him for only 10 years.

Baby red eared sliders are legal to sell where I am, it will be different everywhere. A red eared slider gets to be roughly the size of a dinner plate, and females can get even bigger. At least 100 gallons is needed by the time the turtle is two. No smaller than a 50 before that, I'd say. It is a VERY expensive start-up pet. They will also need a heating system, whether it is an under-aquarium heater or a heat lamp. And they are very dirty and stinky and will need a quality filtration system.

Box turtles are much pricier (where I live you can get a Red Eared for about $40, and a box turtle for about $500) but require a far smaller tank and therefor a cheaper start-up cost overall.

degrassi wrote:
I had a RES when I was younger and its much more work then any of my aquariums or my Box turtle. But RES were pretty neat pets. Just make sure you research a TON and are ready for the commitment.

:yeahthat: My box turtles came from rescue too, their first mom died and didn't have a provision for their care in her will. Turtles can live a LONG time.

I was in way over my head as a kid with the RES, it was lots of work and didn't stay healthy. I ended up giving it back to the pet store about a year later because I didn't do my homework upfront (in my defence I was 12).

We had our red eared slider in my 25 gallon tank and had an filter, and made her an rock pile in the tank so she can get out water when she can.. And we got her when she was couple inches long, They take a long time to grow, But they are not that hard to take care of. I feed her veggies, earth worms, shrimp pellets, blood worms, feeder fish, ect...

We have a res and two soft shells. Had to give the res away ( to my boyfriend) because he kept biting the soft shells. Although the soft shells are cuter the res has a way better personality!! I love him!! We have even taught him tricks!! They appear to be relatively smart!!

I have a full grown female that I rescued. As everybody said, they are messy and a lot of work, and need a really big enclosure (10 gallons per inch of turtle is minimum, but as others have said, keep in mind they grow large and you should prepare for what it is going to be, not what it is now.) Also, their life span can be up to 40 years.

I would really really urge you to rescue one. Every rescue is over run with RES's that people let go or just didn't want anymore. You're asking all the right questions, so you will know what you are getting involved with if you choose to do it.

This article had some good information to consider when making your decision:
http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/reptilesturtles/a/aquaticturtles.htm

Hi, what part of the usa you are from could help you choose a turtle/tortise/terrapin. You may not be limited to a res. For example you may be able to keep a turtle outside, which solves the lighting/heat problem. Make that sun work for you! :D. I live at the coast and each year i raise a group of diamondback terrapin hatchlings to 3" and release in the late summer. Adult females come into my yard from the marsh and lay their eggs in my landscape beds. If i find a nest hatching too early in the spring i bring them in for the season. I had 9 babies this past summer ("the nine" as i called them) and did a release in late september. I figure it's my way of helping the species. But it is major work, serious filtration and lighting which is replaced each year and i only use the bulbs about 6 months. Repti-sun makes great bulbs.
Sorry, this was a long way of saying i choose the tank size based on my terrapin sizes. This year i went through 3 sizes as they grew ending up at around 30 gal. But the water exchanges were about every 4-5 days 25-50%, and the filters, 2 on each tank, cleaned weekly, rotating changing chemical/mechanical inserts, and bio-insert. $$$$$. It's fun, but inside arrangements are costly.
Good luck, and have fun. Sorry about the long post, i just love reptiles!

When I pet-sat a classroom RES who was almost forgotten over Christmas break, I had no aquarium and couldn't move the class one so I kept him in our spare bathtub for the month! Was super easy to clean and had plenty of space.. put a heat lamp on the upper end with some basking area and he was perfectly content!

Thought I'd better add this now-I ended up not getting a turtle. I'll have to wait a while. I just got some fish for my tank as its not big enough to house a turle. Hopefully in the future I can get one, once I get a bigger tank. :) Thanks for your help, even now that I know I can't get one, I find it all very interesting! lol

If you this is your first turtle and you want a cheaper habitat, get a different species of turtle. Mud turtles and musk turtles make great pets that enjoy their solitude. They are small and hardy and do not require as much water. A single Stinkpot can live happily in a 30-40 gallon tank. Stinkpots along with some other species of musk turtles only grow to be 3-5 inches in length - and they are very cute!

377l.jpg

^ A baby Stinkpot.

Latest posts

Back