Possible thumping and other standoffish behavior?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaidy

Reaction score
Hello, I've had my mini lop for about 2 months now and hes coming up on 3 weeks being neutered.
Most of his potty issues have been resolved through the neuter but I have noticed a general standoffish nature develop? I'm not sure if its annoyance, stress, or what but I cant help but feel bad. Ever since I've noticed a very very light thumping usually when he moves around but it's still reason to concern me and I consider these possibly inconsequential noises as the real deal.
Is there a general consensus on what qualifies as a "thump"? My girlfriends rabbit thumps LOUDLY when he does but my bun hasnt thumped nearly as loud ( if at all to be honest) but I'm unsure of whether these movements would qualify?
In general I want to help him more at ease around me whether these are genuine thumps or not, I notice him isolate himself to his area of my room 90% of the time when I definitely want him to be able to explore and move around whenever he wants.
Is there any methods I could use to help him relax around our home?

My 5 lb buck thumps extremely loudly -- you can hear him anywhere in the house.

My 7 lb doe tries to thump, but it comes out super quiet. She had hoc issues on both feet before I adopted her, and she's a bit overweight... but I don't know the extent to which these may influence her thump-impact-velicity or whatever.

The giveaway for when a rabbit is thumping is their behavior: they get really skiddish and exhibit jerky movements. The thump 'motion' is alway there, even if the sound differs.

Regarding his behavior... it may take time, or he may just have a standoffish demeanor. His behavior as a kit may not have been representative of his natural behavior as a teen/adult. He may also want to be social, but finds it difficult without a fellow rabbit. Have you considered getting him a friend?

Latest posts

Back