Possible Polyp?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evey

Reaction score

Description: Female Dutch/bonded with my neutered male, Mr. Evey

Spayed/neutered: Spayed

Notes on Fecal and Urinary Output:
- are the bunny's poops and pees normal?Yes
- When did they last use their litter box? About a 1/2 ago
- Any unusual behavior? No

Medical History -- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before?She has never had to see thevet for a medical condition. She had gas once.

Diet - what does your bunny eat? Sheeat 1/4 cup of Oxbow's BBT and receivesunlimited Oxbow Timothy hay--she usually alsogets 1-2Craisins a day.
- When and what did s/he eat last? She is eating hay right now

Movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally? She is normal.

- are there any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach? No

- has the rabbit been outdoors? No

As you can see, Duchess, my spayed girl is acting completely normal. Today was scent gland cleaning day so that is the only reason why I saw this. As my boyfriend flipped her over to trance her, we saw that her anus was pulsating, and there was a bright red, small,hemorrhoid-looking growth on her anus. As I ran to grab my camera, shemust have retracted it back into her anus (thissounds really weird, I know).Now I cannot see it,and I have NO idea if this is normalorwhatseverity level it is.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Kathy

:?don't know about this one

let's hope someone else here can give you an answer ..

I would definitely check her daily to see if you see it again...
and you could actually call your vet and speak to him

Perhaps a prolapsed rectum? If they are not very bad, they can pop back in by themselves.

I would definitely talk to a vet about it. Prolapses can be very serious, and if they are bad enough they can require surgery.

--Dawn

I have heard of rectal prolapses in rabbits before, and I agree that a vet should look at it soon. It could also be a hemorrhoid in theory, but I haven't heard of it.

Thank you for your responses!

I took Duchess to the vet this week, and the vet thinks that it could either be rabbit syphilis (I am obviously not a vet, but I don't think this is it) or papillomavirus. She was given a shot (I believe Pen G).

I am going back next week to see the vet. Supposedly, if it's gone by next week, it was one of the above. If not, she will remove it and find out what the heck it is. I just honestly don't think it's either of the above.

I'm glad the vet got a good look at it, and has some treatment options. I was worried it was a prolapsed rectum, which can be quite dangerous, but that would have been very obvious to the vet.

Evey wrote:
Thank you for your responses!

I took Duchess to the vet this week, and the vet thinks that it could either be rabbit syphilis (I am obviously not a vet, but I don't think this is it) or papillomavirus. She was given a shot (I believe Pen G).

I am going back next week to see the vet. Supposedly, if it's gone by next week, it was one of the above. If not, she will remove it and find out what the heck it is. I just honestly don't think it's either of the above.
A bun can get syphilis if born to an infected mother; it is fairly commonfor rabbits to develop syphilis even when not exposed to other rabbits. ( except mom) Does anything appear changed. ?
How is she?

Yeah, the vet said that she could have always had it if it's syphilis, and it's just now showing because her immune system may be weakening. Duchess is doing well though; Ichecked her out today, andthings have not changed yet.

I'll keep everyone updated!

Duchess went back to the vet today, and it hasn't gone away. In fact, it is now a bit irritated and bloody. Now the vet doesn't believe that it is syphilis; most likely it is papillomavirus.

So, she is booked for surgery to remove it on the 30th. I'm reallyworried about this. :(

Oh dear. Positive thoughts sent your way. I have run into papilloma, but only on the ears, and it wasn't red or painful.

Duchess is home from her surgery! She is doing very well and acting better than normal (maybe this thing was really bothering her or the pain meds are helping ;)).

I went ahead and paid around $100 to get it biopsied because I want to know what the heck this thing was.

Poor Mr. Evey went with her to the vet, and he is acting like he was the one to have surgery! In fact, I'm a bit concerned because his eyes are wet (like how rabbits get when they are put under)...I wonder if they thought Evey was Duchess at first?

When I asked about his wet eyes, the vet tech told me that they either put eye drops or salve in his eyes and clipped his nails. Is this normal? Why would they have put anything in his eyes?

I have Baytril to give Duchess twice a day and Metacam for pain. Does this sound like the correct course of action after the removal of something in the anus?

I'll keep everyone updated this week!

Thanks,

Kathy

I am think that she might need stronger pain meds ; is she pooping and eating ?
Anal surgery wuld be very painful; I would talk to you vet about possiblya stronger pain med.

Thanks, Angieluv.

Duchess is eating, drinking/pooping,peeing like normal. She really isn't acting like she's in pain orjust had surgery.

The growth was very tiny, and there aren't any stitchesdown there because it was so minor.

I will know in about a week what thegrowth was and will post back with the results.

The vet called today to say thatit was a benign polyp that was removed and that there is a possibility that it could return.

Duchess is still going very well. It looks like she still has a few days of Baytril left.

Thanks, everyone!

Kathy

Latest posts

Back