Possible new rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfinner1

Reaction score
Ever since my bun's bond mate died (over a year ago) I've been talking about getting a new rabbit. But there was always something, money problems, moving, etc., that caused me to put it off. Well, I've got a good stable job, and a very stable home, so I'd been thinking about it more and more. The plan was that I would get Xenos neutered, wait for the hormones to settle out, build his new cage, build a second cage for the new bun, and adopt one from a rescue. I wanted a rabbit about his size and age, didn't really cage about male or female.

Well, now, I have an opportunity thrown in my lap, and I don't know if I should jump on it. A cat rescue that I've worked with before ended up with a rabbit. He's a male, about 5 lbs, and about 4-5 years old. Same size and age as Xenos. He comes with his own cage, is very well socialized with people and other pets (the foster has 3 rabbits herself), he's litter trained, and they are willing to get him vetted and neutered before I take him in. They don't even need me to pay an adoption fee... I want to jump on this, but I'm worried I'm rushing into it. I was planning on getting Xenos neutered next month, and I don't know if I'll have the money to push that sooner, and since the other bun will be neutered just before I get him, that means they will both be hormonal still. And, I would have no idea if they would bond or not, because I've read that even rabbits that are bonded before being fixed can "unbond" after. But the rescue is practically begging me to give him a chance, and he is exactly what I was looking for. And Xenos has always been great with other rabbits (he was actually bonded to an un-neutered male, I still don't know how that happened...), so there's a good chance that there won't be too many issues during the time before their hormones balance out.

What should I do?? Should I jump on this opportunity? Or should I wait?

You could still house them separately until they're both all healed up - then try bonding them after the hormones settle. Give them a chance to sniff each other until then. Would that be possible?

sounds like the universe is sending you a bun. I agree with tweetiepy that you would want to keep them seperate for a little while where they can still have an idea the other is there.

I would go for it. At the very least I would try to cautiously introduce them and see how it goes. They won't be perfect because they are intact, but I think you'll get a good feel of their personalities at least. If they immediately launch at each other you may have some work to do at bonding (though I don't think you could say it would be impossible, since they would be hormonal). However, if they're calm together at all, I think you can take that as a great sign that once neutered they'll be a pretty easy bond.

Also the fact that he's free and will be neutered for free is fantastic! Honestly, most buns can bond if you're patient and determined enough, so I wouldn't worry that they'll never bond - it just might be a bit more difficult than if you found his "perfect" bond mate.

Well, after talking to my SO (significant other), it's decided. I'm getting another bunny! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I'm hoping he's a bit more people social then my bun is... The foster says he is, but we'll see. I'll keep them apart but in the same room for a while, she how they act, they try introducing them. Hopefully it will go well. If not, the new guy will be getting neutered in about 3 weeks, and my boy will be by the end of February, so I can just wait and now push it. I'm so excited!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Latest posts

Back