Possible Infection At Spay Incision

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My rabbit, Dahlia, was spayed about 4 days ago, and her incision looks a little weird to me. There appears to be a little swollen bump on one side of the incision and the top is open a little, underneath looks healed, but it is still pretty scary to see on my baby. Although, she is my first rabbit and first spay, so I'm not really sure what to expect, also when I put my nose close to the incision it smells a little weird, but I don't know if that could be comming from her genitals and not the incision. I'm going to call the vet in the morning when they open, but if you could please give me some advice for now. I'm suppose to leave for another state with my bunnies tomorrow at 2 (only a few hours away, but still) Please help. I'm starting to freak out.

1394867719654.jpg

1394867736744.jpg

She is acting normal and eating and drinking, but I know that doesn't necessarily mean she isn't hurting or that it isn't a problem. So worried!

I'm not really 100% sure what it should look like either. That being said, it doesn't look particularly bad to me but seeing photos can often be different to seeing it first hand. If you are worried about it, there's no harm in taking her in to get the vet to check it over.

Wash your hands and very carefully touch the side of the stitches and see if it is abnormally warm and/or to see if she reacts to you touching her there. They run a little hotter than us, but if the site is infected she would definitely react to you touching beside it.

From what I can see in the pictures, it looks like she has chewed through her top stitches. Your surgical site is a bit messy. Have the stitches always been in a zig zag pattern? I would consider looking into other clinics and try to find one that does internal sutures and surgical glue if you do decide to get another rabbit. It keeps them from accessing the stitches and I have yet to get an infection.

Are you still giving her pain killers? That may be the reason why she's eating and pooping is tied to eating. It will be important for you to visit the vet again as soon as you can. You will need to get the top area cleaned out, as well as getting some new stitches and antibiotics. Since you really don't need to know the anatomy of a rabbits to re-stitch, you might want to look into a closer vet offices. They may be able to redo the stitches, though I am not sure about the antibiotics. Call around and explain your situation. The worse they can do is say no, right?

Since you are planning on taking your bunnies with you, look into vets in the area where you will be staying. Keep a close eye on her and make sure she doesn't undo anymore stitches. I've heard of people wrapping something like an ace bandage around the mid section so she can't access at surgical site, but I have not done it myself.

The situation is not a 911 since she is eating and drinking normally, but it is serious and the infection can become much worse. Try to treat the infection early that way you only have to worry about 1 thing.

Hope this helps

Latest posts

Back