Possible ear infection?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A & B

Reaction score
My rabbit has been shaking and scratching his ears a lot lately. I looked inside them and I see just a couple red scabs. I can't afford to take him to the vet unless I absolutely have to. Is there anything I can put inside them to make his stop doing this?

If they are ear mites (We see a lot of them because we have Flemish Giants and they are well known to have them from time to time) We’ve always used a little bit of vegetable oil to clear it up and it always seems to do the trick in ours. It’s worked in our California crosses too.

How do bunnies get them? I feel so guilty

We’ve just kind of firgured out over time that they’re outside & they can be on your other pets so they can transfer to your rabbits. There can be different causes so don’t beat yourself up too much. It easier just to treat the baby and clean down what’s around them rather than thinking you did something when you probably didn’t.

lop eared rabbits are also prone to bacterial and fungal ear infections due to the heat and humidity that builds up because their ears are flopped down. If it is an infection (mites or otherwise) and it gets too severe there is the chance it can go to the inner ear and cause head tilt, loss of balance, nausea, etc. This can also cause a perforation of the ear drum. For that reason I would go to a vet, personally, so they can use an otoscope to visualise that the ear drum is intact before putting any kind of liquid down there. Of course if you are struggling for money, you can try the olive oil but make sure it doesnt drip all the way to the bottom of the ear, just wipe the ears with oil on a cottonball, for example. You can also get revolution, which is a spot on that treats mites for rabbits.

I'm so confused... can I use vegetable oil? I don't have olive oil on hand

You can also use vegetable oil. The efficacy is less than that of revolution and proper medications, but can work for mild infections.

To administer the vegetable oil into the ear everyone we know always uses a little syringe and just puts a little bit down the ear. Just watch and check your rabbits ears over the next day and you can put a couple more drops if need be.

If the scabs continue to expand, the odds are, it's ear mites. One common treatment is a parasite treatment for livestock called Ivermectin. Two drops in each ear and it will absorb, keeping those pesky bugs out of your bunny ears for up to 3 months. Some states have Ivermectin regulated, some states allow you to just buy it at the farm supply stores without question.

Any animal can carry mites, in many forms and they transfer from animal to animal very easily. Mice, and cats are regular carriers.

If the scabs continue to expand, the odds are, it's ear mites. One common treatment is a parasite treatment for livestock called Ivermectin. Two drops in each ear and it will absorb, keeping those pesky bugs out of your bunny ears for up to 3 months. Some states have Ivermectin regulated, some states allow you to just buy it at the farm supply stores without question.

Any animal can carry mites, in many forms and they transfer from animal to animal very easily. Mice, and cats are regular carriers.
I do have a cat so that's very likely. Should I treat my cats ears too?

Latest posts

Back