Possible bunny with E coniculi

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cassaundra

Reaction score
help! My bunny was experiencing nystagmus and involuntary head movements, seems to be veered towards the right always now. I have a 3 year old at home and I have read that if bunny has e cuniculi it is a zoonotic disease. I’m very nervous and not sure what to do. Any recommendations??

We did, he’s not doing the same things he was that night so they are not sure. He’s on an antibiotic right now

Did your vet run tests? Did they say it is e cuniculi or is that your own thoughts? A head tilt can be due to a severe ear infection, which would explain why he is on antibiotics. If it is e cuniculi antibiotics will have no effect, and he will need fenbendazole. What was he doing that night which is different?
As for your child, e. Cuniculi is zoonotic if you are severely immunocompromised which hopefully isn’t the case here, but I would restrict contact if you are concerned, while things are still unsure.

a blood test will tell you whether your bun has e. cuniculi infection or not. many rabbits carry this germ and live happily with it unless the rabbit's immune system becomes weak.

If in fact my bunny does have e coniculi. Do you think it will be ok/ safe to have my 3 year old in the same room as the caged bunny.

Like I said, it is a zoonotic disease so of course there is a risk your child will catch it. It is only severely immunocompromised people who are at risk, and then only through contact with the urine. But I wouldn’t like to say if your child will be safe or not, I would err on the side of caution and not allow contact. I would also get a definitive diagnosis from your vet.

Like Popsicles mentioned it is zoonotic, but even then it would be extremely rare for the average person to contract it. People with a compromised immune system(aids, leukemia, etc) are the ones most at risk. But even with that said, none of us can say or know whether anyone in your home would be at risk or not. If you have concerns it's best to discuss it with your vet and/or your family doctor.

Since you are giving an antibiotic, your current vet is treating for an ear infection as the cause of the head tilt and not e. cuniculi. So the question is, did your vet find evidence of an ear infection(infection in external ear canal. lump at the ear base, or infection seen on xrays in the inner ear) and that is why (s)he is treating with an antibiotic, or is your vet only guessing as to the cause? If your vet is guessing, then it's usually best for the rabbit to be getting treatment for both possible causes of ear infection or e. cuniculi, with an antibiotic, fenbendazole(for EC), and meloxicam to reduce inflammation. It's what I would want my vet doing until one or the other cause could be ruled out. A blood titer can also be done to check for EC antibodies and possibly rule EC out as a possible cause. But the blood test does cost a bit.

Info on ear infection and head tilt in rabbits.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/tilt.html
http://www.disabledrabbits.com/head-tilt.html

Latest posts

Back