poops in the house

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blwinteler

Reaction score
Well, my bunnies pee in their box and sometimes poop there now. They still poop all in their cage too, but not pee. When out of their cage, they've decided the dining room (which is not really used for dining) is their space and they poop in there. I thought they were just marking their space, but it continued. So, I put a litter box in there. They pee in that, as well as a couple poops, but they still poop all over the room. How do I stop it? It happens so fast! It is like they hurry over there to poop as soon as I let them out of their cage.
I don't have much of a problem sweeping up the poops. It doesn't take very long. Honestly, I'm more concerned about the times my husband is here (for those who haven't read it, we have recently separated. He comes over for family time with our son. He will also be over this Friday to help me after a procedure on my back). I also know that if we work things out, it will frustrate him so much to live with the bunnies pooping there.

:litterhealthy::no:

Hmmm... I wonder if you just left the poos there (for a couple days, maybe) before cleaning them up, if that would be enough for them to think "ok, this is our territory now." --just brainstorming here... wondering if that might make a difference.

Well, my bunnies pee in their box and sometimes poop there now. They still poop all in their cage too, but not pee. When out of their cage, they've decided the dining room (which is not really used for dining) is their space and they poop in there. I thought they were just marking their space, but it continued. So, I put a litter box in there. They pee in that, as well as a couple poops, but they still poop all over the room. How do I stop it? It happens so fast! It is like they hurry over there to poop as soon as I let them out of their cage.
I don't have much of a problem sweeping up the poops. It doesn't take very long. Honestly, I'm more concerned about the times my husband is here (for those who haven't read it, we have recently separated. He comes over for family time with our son. He will also be over this Friday to help me after a procedure on my back). I also know that if we work things out, it will frustrate him so much to live with the bunnies pooping there.

:litterhealthy::no:
--if it is one thing rabbits do--it is poop.,,and it requires patience and understanding,,--it was a good idea to place a poop box,s in the dining room,,perhaps the box,s could contain-timothy grasses,,--I don,t want to comment on your marital status,but my wife moved out when I started my exotic veterinary clinic --in the house,,--hurray---sincerely james waller :wink:rabbithop:rabbithop:jumpforjoy:

Are you picking up all the poops and placing them in the litter box? Are you cleaning the area with vinegar/water? You didn't mention if they are spayed/neutered. This could help if they are not. Do you clean the litter box in the dining room everyday? If you are you may want to hold off for a little while.

How old are they? Thumper marked his territory with poo only but by a year old he got to the point that he would only drop at most five and it would be days in between. As far as when your husband comes over for time with your son, can you keep them out of the dining room for that period and them still get plenty of time out/exercise?

After 40+ rabbits we have only had one that never pooped outside of her litter box. While most of ours do go in their litter pans, they also leave some around the room--Cosmo spent his first ten minutes out this morning sniffing each one around the bunny room. Even when they are "penned" up, they will still leave some around. That's why we own a gigantic shop vac as even our neatest ones still require cleaning up after. We're happy that they all pee in the pans as that requires more than vacuuming.

I have a similar problem with my living room area. I intially thought that she marked with poos because we spent so much time in there with her and also the dog. We do not have our dog anymore (going on 8 months). Now I just wonder if it is because that is the way we enter and exit the house. I would like to get her to stop too.

My boys are both neutered. They are 7 and 13 months old. I am cleaning out the pan in the dining room every few days or so and cleaning up the poo probably every other day. I am not using vinegar and water, just sweeping them up and tossing them in the litter pan. The layout of my home does not allow me to keep them out of the dining room. I'd need 2 pet/baby gates to do that and I don't have them.

Latest posts

Back