Pooping while leaving litter box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So one of my two bunnies, the doe, pretty much ALWAYS poops while leaving the litter box, the buck barely does. The doe, also poops outside sometimes in her cage and when i let her wonder (rarely though). They both always pee inside. They are 10 weeks old and the buck mostly gets the idea of the box and the doe seems to mostly get it, otherwise she wouldn't associate pooping while leaving the box so often, but she doesnt exactly get that i want it to stay in the box. So what can I do to fix this if anyone has this issue?

Rabbits produce as many as 500 fecal poops (the hard, round balls) a DAY. No rabbit ever gets them all in the litter box, that's just too much to ask of them. The best you'll get is a large portion of poops and all of the pee in the box (poops in the box are greatly aided if you have it set up so they can eat hay while in the litter box since they love to eat and poop at the same time).

I would say that potty habits often improve with spay/neuter and reaching adulthood... but all the pee in the box and many of the poops is, honestly, the most you can fairly expect. They seem to poop most when eating and when running around (movement stimulates the bowels, after all). The poor bunns would never leave the box to get all their poop in it.

Yes you are lucky that they get most of their poops in the litter box! "Housekeeping," aka me with a broom and dustpan...and occasionally paper towels for wetter messes needs to come at least twice a day to clean my bunny's space...which also doubles as our bedroom

There isn't really an issue, your bunnys are doing great for being 10 weeks. As been said, losing some bunny berries here and there is something most bunnys do all their lives.

Their litter habbits might get temporary worse when puberty hits, like teenagers they might don't care much where they leave their stuff :D

Ah, since you mentioned their age, if they are together you are aware that you'll have to seperate them soon to avoid a pregnancy?
Here it is quite common that males get neutered at 8-10 weeks, so they never go through puberty and are easier to bond to either sex and make great pets, but I reckon that's not common on your side of the pond.

Latest posts

Back