Pooping all over

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnylova4eva

Reaction score
Ripley is not neutered. Up to now, we've been hesitant to do so. Partly cost, partly the fact that I'm worried sick something will happen to him. But, I know it needs to be done.

My question is as to whether neutered buns poop all over like unneutered.

Ripley is an amazing little man, and has never sprayed (or even peed out of the box) But, now that he's in the house and has a large xpen, he poops EVERYWHERE. He did go out of the the box pooping before he was in, but I think just because it was a smaller space maybe he didn't as much or something.

We've always has unaltered rabbits so I don't know much about how the behavior would be if they were fixed.

Neutering reduces "territorial droppings" that are basically scattered droppings in places. They do this to mark. However, rabbits do not have as much control over themselves with feces as they do with urine. Rabbits are infamous for being... err, dropping machines, haha. Is his hay in his litterbox? Or in a rack by his litterbox so he is in the litterbox while eating? Rabbits tend to go when they eat. This might help, but you may have his hay over there already.....

yeah, they produce like 500 poops a day, so they'll never ALL be in the box... however, my girls went from about 60-70% of their poops in the litter boxes to more like 85-90% after their spays.

So does everyone with free-roaming bunnies have bunny pellets all over their houses? When mine were free roaming I only did it when I was home and they certainly did leave quite a mess. I didn't know if these were just my bunnies. How do you cope with the bunny poo all over? How do you clean it up best? Thanks!

With some rabbits, the dropping are more prevalent when they are getting accustomed to a new roaming area. Sometimes the quantity will lessen with time.
And some rabbits are better than others. Having a dog helps since they tend to "clean up" after them, lol.
Since the poos are generally dry and clean, I used to just have a small dust broom to sweep up stray poos.
I'm spoiled right now because my current 2 bunnies have near perfect litter habits. I don't get poos outside the cage. I will see some inside the cage but outside the litter box. But I don't get any around the house and they are out all day long. :woohoo

Lucky you! Anything environmental which contributes to this for your buns?

nah, it's just luck of the draw... though if the area they have access to is quite large, having a couple extra litter boxes spread out around the house can help.

Lucky you! Anything environmental which contributes to this for your buns?

Yup, just lucky. These are the only buns I've had that are this good.

Funny, come to think of it, that I originally got my Sapphire in the Spring as part of a bonded pair. Her mate died in the summer, but they were both perfect in their habits. I've since bonded Sapphire with Mocha and he has followed her lead and is also perfect in his habits. Hmmm... wonder if there's some clue in that?

don't look to mine for that, lol... there are poops all over their pen right now. I wanted to deep-clean it a few days ago, but felt that would be a waste of time since they'd just get it dirty again in a matter of days - my new flooring for the bunny pen is supposed to arrive tomorrow and I'm going to want their area immaculate right before I install it.

Yes, Ripely's does have hay in one of his litter boxes, not both though. I think alot of it is him marking with it-he flings it 3 feet up in the air when he gets excited trying to run circles..lol

Latest posts

Back