Poopey Butt! Baxter! had a "Mud Flap"

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juliew19673

Reaction score
Poor, fat Bax (enough said) had to get a bath last night as I noticed that he had a full on "Mud Flap" (like a semi truck) of poo on his under carriage.

Bathed him without issue (well he had issues, I was just happy to clean him up), but then came home tonight and saw NEW poo stuck to his underside. Problem is he is overweight and cannot eat his Cecals, he is molting and thus we have the "Perfect Storm".

Dietary restrictions are needed,I understand. My Friends, Rabbit experts suggested cutting out all sugar snacks (raisins, cranberries) and cutting down the pellets from a half cup (shared between 2 buns) to 2 tablespoons a day.

Which is fine, just when I got Bax, he was skin and bones (literally).. That being said, he being overweight is probably just as bad, if not worse.. AArrghh.. :pssd:

Yes, cutting off the hair from your hare is a good idea. I'd try wipes to get off any more poop, as baths really aren't a good idea. I think it'd be a good idea to add celery chunks to the veggie mix, as it doesn't have many calories per volume, so would help fill him up.

Thanks all for your reply; cut down on the greens (herb mix may be to much along with the "sweets"); now today, 3 days later Bax is not eating; Gave him a dose of Cyproheptadine and Metoclopramide this AM and no change as of this evening. He has a visit with the vet in the AM. Hope I wake up in the AM and he is bouncing about; he's previously will have a bad morning, but will bounce back by the evening, but not today. Blood work will had. Fingers crossed.

Poor Bax is stuck at the Vet; Xray showed a huge pocket of gas in his tummy and his intestines are full of poo and other pockets of gas. He's getting IV fluids; pain and gas/gut meds.. Hope he doesn't have to stay overnight. they wouldn't let Gabby stay with him, so now I hope they do not have an issue when he gets home :? I'll take her with me to pick him up and hopefully that will help them.

Oh and if your curious what it costs to get a bunny to fart (lol)? Estimated price $621 - $870... I quickly negotiated a total inclusive price of $450. I'm more than happy to administer Sub Q's and give injections myself at home. Luckily they took pity on me...

Poor Baxter! It would be so much easier if bunnies could fart, but alas they can't.

Hoping Baxter doesn't have to stay overnight. But good idea bringing Gabby with you to pick him up. He will probably be so glad to see her.

Hoping all is well. Also what a nice Vet you have.

K :)

Bunnies can fart. Gus did just the other day. They just don't fart as easily as us humans.

Have you got probiotics for him? I've got Gus on them for the bouts of gas he's been suffering and they seem to be doing the trick (that and cutting back on his treats... :p).

Hope he's feeling better soon!

Rue

funnybunnymummy wrote:
Bunnies can fart. Gus did just the other day. They just don't fart as easily as us humans.

Have you got probiotics for him? I've got Gus on them for the bouts of gas he's been suffering and they seem to be doing the trick (that and cutting back on his treats... :p).

Hope he's feeling better soon!

Rue
Thanks for sharing. I never knew.

I have to say thanks to Gus and his gas (sorry Gus would never wish it on you) but you did help me with Dobby. He was a bit gassy and with reading Gus's story I saw the signs of slight gas in Dobby. I've cut certain greens and treats out of his diet. I'll have to go look at probiotics.

I'd heard bunnies can't fart, but I've seen it with my own eyes, so I know otherwise! ;)

You don't need to cut out his greens forever, just until the bacteria in his gut has restabilized. Then reintroduce them slowly as if he's never had them before. Of course, poor Gus knows he's had them before and can't understand why he's not getting his usual salad!

Hope Dobby is feeling better soon!

Rue

Baxter! is back home!

I really felt, at one point, like I was trying to "Jail Break" him from the Vet; they really wanted him to "Stay overnight" which I called "Shenanigans on" as he was eating and pooping by 3PM (Oh, yes I called twice); and they were not going to be "treating" him in any way whilse he stayed overnight; they just wanted to be able to "squish his gut" in the AM to make sure his gut was still moving.

So after I called and chatted up the Receptionist, the Vet Tech and the Dr.'s assistant - the Dr. sat down with me to explain her concerns. She wanted to make sure she could see him tomorrow to squish his tummy to check for gas. Again, appreciate the concern. And will take him in tomorrow so that she can.

I then became a lawyer and negotiated the final bill down to $381 (really these charges are exhorbitant). While I was waiting for Baxter! I saw one Mom and her Son picking up their Hamster that just had been through surgery for a broken leg. Good for them spending $500 on their 3 year old Hamster (they were lovers of this critter, but really seemed to me this hamster was on his last leg, so to speak, not his first surgery, I'm not trying to pass judgement, but sad; the hamster had to stay overnight, and most likely for a few days); But this is the Vet that I see, and I see that you must make a fuss, not to be charged ridiculous fees (but surgery on a hamsters leg must be expensive). Or maybe the Woman that paid $500 bucks for her hamster helped cover my cost.. I don't know, just know my bill looked to be "Padded with costs". $66 bucks for Sub Q fluids? After chatting/negoiating this line item I found they charge you $22 bucks just to insert needle and let the fluids flow..

Finally and more importantly to my entire post of this event, The Doctor summarized, when we sat down for the final accounting of the "Why's and How did this happen" think the main culprit was not the greens, or even the excessive cranberries/raisins; but just that Bax had a bad molt and I didn't brush him enough.
:shock: Be informed Bun slaves... Brush, brush, brush! Most of his poo that came out at the Vets were "Threaded" with hair. He is overweight (9.2 lbs - should be about 7).

And thank you to everyone that replyied to me, truly appreciated that. RO individuals are fantastic people.

So this whole health issue is my fault. I feel horrible, if anyone can learn from this I'd feel SO much better.

So glad to hear Baxter is home. We all make mistakes sometimes out of love and not knowing. Look at that poor hamster. Shame they haven't learned yet, IMHO. But you did. Baxter is on the mend and you know what to do to help him shed the hair and the weight.

Thank you for your honest word of an experience that I think a lot of people will read and learn.

Hoping the belly squishing goes well.

Baxter! is back to his old routine with alot more "Vigor" than previously; also notice that his physical appearance seems so much more "smaller/compact/slim lined"? Not so "Jabba the Hut"?

Am now wondering if he has always carried some gas? He was previously and now again today, a happy binky bun when I come home or just wanting to be a clown.

He just seems thinner at the waistline; he had not eating for 30 hours when this episode happened; his weight is 9.2 lbs still (I just double weighed him and he hasn't lost weight since seeing the Vet); just really seeing a huge "Visual" difference, wondering if anyone else has noticed this phenom in their buns. Thinking - could gas blow them up, like a balloon for 3 years and could this have been a big part of his physical size, even if he was acting healthy prior? Is gas in some buns, something they live with?

I'm flabbergasted.. (lol).

Latest posts

Back