Poop strung together?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if it's only three and only strung together with a few strands of hair, that's not uncommon and is probably nothing to worry about. as long as the poops are coming out, you don't have a problem... but it can be a sign that you should take some precautionary measures.

keep a close eye on their poops to make sure that isn't happening a lot, up their hay intake if you can and groom them extra if anyone is shedding a bit. if you happen to have papaya tablets handy, you can give them each one as a preventative measure - the digestive enzymes are supposed to help break down/pass hair.

Yes, the strung poos are an indication that they are ingesting too much fur. Whenever I see this in mine, I up the hay and offer papaya or papaya tablets.

Also gently brush to remove any hair before it is eaten during grooming. If they don't like a regular brush, use a lint brush or a soft toothbrush.

Should I get the papaya tablets? Because I saw 3 strung together again. It seems like even though I brush them, they continuously shed. No matter how much I get off, there's 10x more where that came from! I am really worried one of them is going to have a gut problem. They are being very picky with orchard grass and that's all I have to give them right now so I think they are eating much less. They are used to timothy but the feed store was out of it and the closest one was 30 min away, and I can't afford to blow a lot of money on pet store hay where you get so much less. With them eating less hay, I am sure it is being difficult to pass the hair that I can't get.

As far as I can tell, they are just normal breeds (not one of the breeds you have to pay special attention to for grooming their coats), but I could be wrong. They are both rescues, and the SPCA told me Niki (brown one) is an American Dwarf mix, but Mischa is of unknown mix, so I would not know.

Hay really is the best thing to prevent ingested hair from causing digestive problems. if you could get some more timothy, that would be the best thing. If not, you could try giving them a little less pellets each day to see if they will eat more hay.

They are both eating their vegetables (quite eagerly I might add), so I do not think their tummy is upset at all, so I think that is a good sign. Should I give them more veggies to make up for what they are not getting in hay until I can get some timothy hay?

You could maybe give them a little bit more veggies. I wouldn't give them a whole bunch more just cause they won't be used to it.

Ok so I looked in the litter box, and I don't know if it was the flashlight on my phone (have dim lighting in my room), but the poops looked very shiny and umm, "sticky", lol. They were in an ordinary position though. The only strung poops I see are OUTSIDE the litter box. Are these cecals? I have no idea. But should rabbit poop be shiny? Both of them are not overweight or arthritic so should have no problem eating their cecals.

The tiny 'grape like' clusters of cecals are shiny. Occasionally a rabbit may leave a cecal uneaten. If it doesn't happen a lot then you don't need to be concerned.

Latest posts

Back