Poop question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIpitydane

Reaction score
We have a 6 week old baby, now that we have him it's my understanding that he should have been with his mom until 8! He is not our first bun but he is our first BABY bun. He seems to be doing great but I notice that I have yet to see any real poop and ONLY cecetropes. Is this normal? He is eating alfalfa pellets and timothy hay, is there something I should change in his diet? I'm sure they are cecals, nice clustered, grapey looking poos. Will his poop change as he gets older?

so his normal poops are mushy...absolutely no treats,,no veggies,just feed hay and his pellets...r u feeding him the same pellets as the person u got him from?..the Brambley hedge rabbit rescue in town here feed baby buns rolled oats when they get mushy poops.(not quick oats )..id take him to the vet tomorrow if i were you..

heads up this is very dangerous for a bun his age..they can go downhill overnight..i hope other will chime in with more advice....good luck and keep us posted please:)

It is possible he's eating his regular poops? When I first got my 8 week old bunny - he would leave the cecals around - I asked and it was suggested to cut down on the pellets because maybe the pellets were too rich for him and he couldn't eat all his cecals - he was however leaving regular poops though - he was eating those and he still eats those too.

If the baby wasn't on the same pellets he is on now, that would explain why his poop is so soft. I had to cut down my Rolo's pellets as well because his poops got too mushy. I know people normally suggest to freefeed babies but it did not work with Rolo. As soon as I cut the pellets back, his poop hardened. I'm not sure why it went that way to be honest but that is what worked with me. You could always try cutting it back and adding more gradually so he adjusts to the pellet. If he has plenty of hay and water, there'd be no problem in doing so. :)

Lisa is right though, you need to be very vigilant and make sure it doesn't worse than that, causing your bunny to dehydrate. That would be very bad for a lil one.

Hay and water only until you can get him to the vet, I say. A bunny that young, with only mushy poos, can go downhill very fast. They get a GI flora imbalance and it can lead to poisoning from the bacteria. The GI flora of young babies, especially those under 8 weeks, are not stable and are susceptible to problems. Vet needs to see the poo, check for parasites, give metronidazole.

Thanks all for your replies. I didn't mean to make is sound as tho his poops were mushy and I apologize. Mainly I was concerned because I was seeing cecetropes(well formed ones) stuck in the wool around his hiney but not seeing real poops. He checks out good and actually gets to see his vet everyday because I work for his vet and I take the buns with me....but I am happy to say that yesterday I finally saw REAL poop and he was eating it! Any reason he would eat regular poops? I am seeing more and more in his litter box now so Im taking that as a good sign. Also....I trimmed the area around his rear and since havent seen cecals hanging in it ;)

Oh that makes more sense. If the baby is the fluffy one in your pic, I can understand how he couldn't reach to get his cecotropes. It's not normal for bunnies to eat their fecal poos, so I would try to get one and have it checked for parasites just in case (fecal float). It is not unheard of that bunnies will eat them, but I haven't heard of a bunny eating ALL of them so that you didn't know he was producing them!

Latest posts

Back