Poop Palace

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaimeh761

Reaction score
We have a little bun who is almost 5 mo. old. He's free roam. He is getting neutered in two weeks thankfully. Does neutering really help with litter training? He has three litter boxes strategically placed around the home. One upstairs in his main living quarters where he sleeps and eats, one on our staircase landing, and one downstairs in another room. These are all strategically placed in areas we have experienced he likes to use for potty and so there's always a box near enough to help prevent any accidents. He's a good bunny that uses all three, but also a bad bunny because he'll poop just inches away from his boxes. I feel like I live in a poop palace!

The spraying is horrendous. We were ecstatic when neuter days arrived, and our knowledgeable DVMs proceeded to "fix" persistent spray jets.

Have you googled on litterbox training or searched the links on Rabbits Online?

Mary E. Cotter and Amy Sedaris have educational videos thru Howcast on ways to proceed with litter training. Free roam can be tricky until litter box habits are firmly established however you've got a step up on your youngen already urinating inside his box in the 3 places the boxes are strategically placed.

Marble marking will occur as a territorial placement; Neutering Helps a ton!! Do you observe your youngen when he goes to the litter box area and 2) provide lavish praises for him hopping in and lifting his tail or pausing to munch hay and excrete marbles inside the box?

I always tell him he's a good bun if I see him in his box. If he poops outside a d he's there I'll pick them up and put them in his box and he'll see that. He knows he's supposed to go in the boxes. I think once he's fixed it should improve a lot. We have other animals in our house so I think a lot of it is him trying to mark his territory.

He's territorial marking his litter area. It's possible the neuter could help fix that, but there's also a chance it won't as it's something even fixed rabbits will do. And especially since you have other pets around. He's letting them know those are his spots.

If the neuter doesn't resolve the behavior, one thing you could try is spraying the area down with vinegar/water mix, natures miracle, or other pet safe scent neutralizer, to neutralize the scent that's been left behind. You don't want to clean the scent off his litter box though, you want his scent to remain on that so it's established that area is clearly his. Though there is a chance this could just set off him marking the area even more. You never know with rabbits.

I don't know if this is something that would work, but you could try one of those rubberized cat litter mats with the rubber nibs on them that prevent litter tracking when the cat steps out of the litter box. As long as it doesn't become a chew hazard for him, he may dislike the feel of it on his feet enough that he won't want to poop mark there anymore. Plus it would cover up the area there that has his scent on it already. Might be worth a try. A lot of things for deterring unwanted behavior, is a matter of trial and error. I've had to try out all sorts of different set ups to find the right one for each particular rabbit, as they don't always respond the same way to things.

Honestly though, he's doing pretty good for an intact male. I have fixed rabbits that aren't as tidy as he is.

He's territorial marking his litter area. It's possible the neuter could help fix that, but there's also a chance it won't as it's something even fixed rabbits will do. And especially since you have other pets around. He's letting them know those are his spots.

If the neuter doesn't resolve the behavior, one thing you could try is spraying the area down with vinegar/water mix, natures miracle, or other pet safe scent neutralizer, to neutralize the scent that's been left behind. You don't want to clean the scent off his litter box though, you want his scent to remain on that so it's established that area is clearly his. Though there is a chance this could just set off him marking the area even more. You never know with rabbits.

I don't know if this is something that would work, but you could try one of those rubberized cat litter mats with the rubber nibs on them that prevent litter tracking when the cat steps out of the litter box. As long as it doesn't become a chew hazard for him, he may dislike the feel of it on his feet enough that he won't want to poop mark there anymore. Plus it would cover up the area there that has his scent on it already. Might be worth a try. A lot of things for deterring unwanted behavior, is a matter of trial and error. I've had to try out all sorts of different set ups to find the right one for each particular rabbit, as they don't always respond the same way to things.

Honestly though, he's doing pretty good for an intact male. I have fixed rabbits that aren't as tidy as he is.
Good idea with the mat. I think at this point we're going to dive into the habits correction after he gets neutered and heals. I think we'll have a better idea of what changes and what doesn't.๐Ÿ˜Š

Latest posts

Back