Poop outside litter box only at night?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DashinBunnies

Reaction score
My boy is a 9 months old neutered mini lop, just about a week ago I realised after the day gets dark he goes in his litter box to eat hay but poops only outside in a particular corner. I thought maybe it’s a pee scent on the fleece so I washed and deodorised the whole flooring and I moved the litter box to that particular corner but he just poops in another corner outside the box. During the day he poops in the litter box fine.
Anyone has had the same experience or know why? Thanks guys!!

Could you attach a photo of his set-up?

hello :) I have attached a photo. This is his usual set up (he gets to free roam outside of this pen).As you can see he just poops outside in that corner next to litter box at night. This photo was taken just when I woke up this morning

Attachments

• 2224802E-D924-4D4F-93CA-D0D8B5A39E42.jpeg
    2224802E-D924-4D4F-93CA-D0D8B5A39E42.jpeg
    372.6 KB · Views: 9
hello :) I have attached a photo. This is his usual set up (he gets to free roam outside of this pen).As you can see he just poops outside in that corner next to litter box at night. This photo was taken just when I woke up this morning
My bunny does this sometimes too! They work in weird ways. Do you shut off the light at night? Maybe inside the hooded litter box becomes too dark? Buns are odd.

I think it may have to do with the hood on the litter box. I'd try removing the top part and see what happens.
(I also have reservations regarding lidded boxes. The ammonia odor from the urine can get trapped in there. )

My bunny does this sometimes too! They work in weird ways. Do you shut off the light at night? Maybe inside the hooded litter box becomes too dark? Buns are odd.

Yes it's completely dark at night! wow I've never thought of that, because the reason I changed from a litter tray to a hooded litter box was because I thought they like abit of security, but I might give it a go by removing the hood. Thank you!

I think it may have to do with the hood on the litter box. I'd try removing the top part and see what happens.
(I also have reservations regarding lidded boxes. The ammonia odor from the urine can get trapped in there. )
Thank you so much for the advice. Yes initially I thought maybe he would like the hooded as a place to hide and feel secure, I change his litter everyday but yes I will give it a go to remove the top part off. Alternatively I might leave the hooded box as a hiding spot for him and place his old litter tray back.

I concur with the removal of the lid. See if he prefers his litter box without it. The only other thing I could think of is he’s being particular about how much poop is in his box and he doesn’t want to do his business because it’s “dirty”. I only wonder this because I’m going through this with Trixie. Once she fills up her litter, I have to put a new layer of pellets over it and then she’ll go to the bathroom again. It’s the reason why I clean her box every 2-3 days.

I concur with the removal of the lid. See if he prefers his litter box without it. The only other thing I could think of is he’s being particular about how much poop is in his box and he doesn’t want to do his business because it’s “dirty”. I only wonder this because I’m going through this with Trixie. Once she fills up her litter, I have to put a new layer of pellets over it and then she’ll go to the bathroom again. It’s the reason why I clean her box every 2-3 days.
Thank you so much for the suggestion! Yep I check his litterbox actually twice a day to remove the soiled hay, poops and top up hay. Then every 2 days I will completely clean out the litterbox. I will try to remove the litterbox lid to see if his behaviour changes. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back