Poop of mixed sizes - cause for concern?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweet Potato rabbit

Reaction score
I was clearing my bun's litter box this morning and noticed some small poops. He was less energetic, spent quite some time at his hideout corner and didn't eat or poop for about 3hrs except for the cilantro I dangled in front of him. So I fed him some simethicone and bene bac plus. He did start pooping so I fed him some critical care. He became more energetic and was back to his greedy self at around 5pm. But about 10% of the poop so far are smaller than usual despite still being round and not dry or hard. Wondering how much I should be concerned. Is it normal for rabbits to have mixed size poop every now and then?

He seems to have an extremely sensitive gut. He was on a timothy hay diet with occasional pellets (always less than 1/4 tablespoon) and the occasional herbs and still got stasis. I limit his herbs and greens because as long as he eats them, he will have uneaten cecotropes.

Last edited:
It can be normal for them to have a few smaller than usual, but not a lot consistently. And not if they are also acting unwell and have an unusual lack of appetite along with it.

If he's having consistent reoccurring bouts of stasis, then he is either sensitive to something in his diet, likely either the pellets or one of the greens(also can happen if the greens are off), or he has some underlying medical condition that would take further assessment by your vet to determine the cause. If it wasn't just a problem with the greens having gone bad and this is a reoccurring problem, you could try changing the diet to see if that's the issue.

I would go to a free fed hay only(and salt lick) diet for a few weeks and see if that makes a difference. Then if he's doing really well, try adding in one green at a time. Stick with one green for a while before adding in a new one. Then this way if it's one of the greens, you should be able to notice him starting to feel unwell if he's sensitive to one of them. Basically you follow the elimination diet used for getting rid of mushy cecotropes.

https://rabbit.org/intermittent-soft-cecotropes-in-rabbits/
For one of my rabbits it was the pellets, even just a pinch would make him sick. He kept going into stasis and I finally realized it was soon after eating pellets that he started acting uncomfortable, eye squinting, belly pressing, and shifting his position like he couldn't get comfortable. He would also produce irregular sized and shaped poop. Once I removed pellets and any other high carb/sugary foods, and fed only hay and select leafy greens, he never had a bout with stasis again.

If this was the only time this has happened and his poops are normally consistently good, sometimes it can just be something bad they ate. Like something off with their greens, or something in their hay.

Thank you @JBun ! It didn’t occur to me that it could be due to the pellets. I’ll remove the pellets totally and see how it goes, and will check in with the vet when he goes for his neuter surgery tomorrow.

I’ve been trying to go slowwww with him because I only adopted him two months ago and have changed his diet a little. His previous mum fed him guinea pig pellets, daily berries throughout the day as treats, and yogurt drops. I’ve stopped all that and gave him oxbow hay and pellets. Fingers crossed he’ll be better after pellets are excluded!

Latest posts

Back