Poop not right

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoonMama

Reaction score
Hi there everyone,
Our little Janeway who is a Holland Lop born in December, seems to not be able to tolerate any kind of vegetable or fruit without her poop changing to clusters instead of individually formed poop. She has limitless Timothy hay available to her, and oxbow premium pellets and water. She also has some chew toys-mostly Timothy chunks and various wood things. Over the past few months I have tried parsley, romaine lettuce, cucumber, a small chunk of cherry, and a small chunk of strawberry, all spaced out with time in between to see how she does. Every time, she gets those weird poops. Should I just keep her on hay and pellets and forget trying to introduce greens and things? My vet told me she needs vegetables daily but it doesn’t seem to work for her. Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

• 1B56315F-81B3-464D-975F-5A084FA9EDCC.jpeg
    1B56315F-81B3-464D-975F-5A084FA9EDCC.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
What amount of pellets does she eat each day, and what is her approximate body weight? Is she eating a pile of hay, at least the size of her body per day(positively confirmed at least this amount is being consumed)? When you introduce the new foods into her diet, are you starting out with only one, and only giving it once per day for that week, before you start seeing the mushy poop? Are you then stopping it and letting the mushy poop completely clear up for several days before trying a new one? What amount are you starting at(eg. small sprig of parsley, piece of romaine half the size of your palm, piece of fruit that's the size of half a teaspoon)? And did you start out trying leafy greens first, before moving onto fruit?

The clusters, is this the fecal balls coming out stuck together, or is she producing normal fecal balls, then having bits of mushy poop in between? Is her poop completely normal when you aren't trying to feed veggies/fruit? Any difference in the poop when you fed the veggies as opposed to the fruit?

What amount of pellets does she eat each day, and what is her approximate body weight? Is she eating a pile of hay, at least the size of her body per day(positively confirmed at least this amount is being consumed)? When you introduce the new foods into her diet, are you starting out with only one, and only giving it once per day for that week, before you start seeing the mushy poop? Are you then stopping it and letting the mushy poop completely clear up for several days before trying a new one? What amount are you starting at(eg. small sprig of parsley, piece of romaine half the size of your palm, piece of fruit that's the size of half a teaspoon)? And did you start out trying leafy greens first, before moving onto fruit?

The clusters, is this the fecal balls coming out stuck together, or is she producing normal fecal balls, then having bits of mushy poop in between? Is her poop completely normal when you aren't trying to feed veggies/fruit? Any difference in the poop when you fed the veggies as opposed to the fruit?
Thank you for the reply.
I do not know the exact amount of pellets each day-as I just give her access to them. I also am not sure about specific amounts of pellets or hay because she shares a hutch with her mom. Janeway weighs 2.9 pounds.

I did start with one leaf of romaine, not the largest of a bunch. I fed that every other day at the same time of day, and after a couple days noticed the poop being different. I stopped and let the poop go back to normal and then tried parsley the same way. The poop changed again and then I stopped it and let it clear up. Then I tried a half a small strawberry one time and the same thing happened. About a month later I tried the greens again-this time flat parsley. Then a week later a half a cherry. Every time the same poops happen.
Should I back her off to only hay for a few days? Should I separate her from mom? She has never been separate from her mom. I am worried they will regress in terms of being bonded which is why I keep them together.

Latest posts

Back