Poop not looking normal?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fender32

Reaction score
It seems to me that sometimes (maybe a few timesa week) that little Dusty will poop out little blacker cydrilical poopsthat are about 1-2 cm in length.. blacker than normal poops with cracksin it. Don't get me wrong, he also poops just fine, but these arestarting to worry me.

My best guess is these are from the little bark bites he nibbles and eats on. Any thoughts, and is this a problem?

yeah, sounds like cecal pellets.

do they look like little bunches of grapes? and smell a bit stronger than normal poops?

Also, cecals are mushy when fresh and like cement when hard. Especially if the rabbit stepped on them.:?

They're normal but they should all be eaten. It might meanhe's getting too much protein (alfalfa hay, alfalfa pellets) or treats.

I wouldn't say they look like grapes, theyaren't that big. They are sparse among the other poops in his cage, onein 30 i would say.

also, thats good to know naturestee. I will try to remove the barkbites and lower his food intake a little bit to see if that helps.

They are just chew sticks, so i guess i should take them out for good, he might eat too much. :?

thanks for the article link, i learned a few things!

chew stuff is fine...they dont really eatit. I would worry more about measuring out his food andkeeping treats to a minimum :)

Glad to help out!

Haley

uh oh..i changed little Dusty's whole cage out yesterday, and i camehome to more of those dreadful poops. Enough to get me to post apicture, I am worried sick.

What to do?

I know the camera takes horrible pictures, but the bad poop is in the middle with a few normal ones to measure size.

Thanks, you have been a big help.

I hope its natural to be this worried with a new little bun. :bunnydance:

Are you giving Dusty veggies or fruit?

I would cut everything out except Timothy pellets and hay (lots of hay), and of course, water.

You can introduce veggies one at a time (if he's old enough) and monitor his droppings to see if it causes any issues.

We gave his some lettuce about a week ago. I did not know about this, and i informed my family that lettuce is off limits.

But no, it couldn't be any veggies, its been too long since his lastones. Just hay/pellets. I give him the pellets with dried carrots andstuff in it...could that be a problem?

the brand is fiesta.

The pellets shouldn't have anything in them, just the brown pellets.

Don't switch to a new type all at once or it may cause stomachupset. Do it slowly,gradually adding in the newfeed.

Some give alfalfa pellets to young bunnies, but they have to be weaned off that at about six months.

I've alwaysgiven mine 100% Timothy pellets, even when they were babies and never had any problems.

what if i picked out all of the dried veggies and just gave him the pellets?

hmm, that might be the problem after all.

You can do that for now, but I'd think it would be a pain in the butt.

Next time you're in the pet store or feed store, look for the plain pellets.

Latest posts

Back