Poop in hair close to bottom.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManosMax

Reaction score
This is my first rabbit,and i noticed that the hair closed to the rabbits but are stuck together with poop.I have seen it poop and the poop is hard as it should be.My question is,should i let him clean himself or is there a way to clean him my self.

If there is poop sticking to the bottom, but you say he is producing hard poops, it suggests the sticky poop around his bottom is caecotropes. These are mushy poops that the rabbit produces naturally and should eat directly from their bottom - this helps with digestion and is very important for rabbit health. If your rabbit is not eating those caecoptropes, there could be a few reasons:
If the diet is too high in protein and sugars (e.g. too many pellets/fruits) the gut is already overwhelmed and so won’t feel the need to eat the carcotropes. The rabbit diet should be 80% grass/hay, with some veggies and pellets just to supplement.
It also might be that he isn’t able to eat the caecotropes. If your rabbit is obese, or has painful joints, for example, then he won’t be able to bend down to eat the caecotropes and clean himself properly.
It is important to make sure you tackle this at the root cause to prevent it happening again. It’s also possible the mushy poops are diarrhoea, but as you say he is producing hard poops this seems less likely.
As for cleaning him, you could bathe just his bottom with some warm soapy water and a flannel, making sure to dry him very well with a towel afterwards.

I have the same problems. Though I don't know if it is poop clumping the fur up. Is there any way to do the cleaning process outside? It is very cold outside (30 degrees) and I don't want him to freeze. He only gets 1/4 cup of pellets a day is that too much? He is a Mini Rex and his poops are not mushy. What soap would you recommend?

Last edited:
If it is very cold you will need to wash him indoors and let it dry completely before putting him back out. Depends on his size, but that seems reasonable to me... It is probably his caecotropes sticking, rather than normal poops, so it could be your rabbit has underlying health issues stopping him getting to them, like I mentioned, such as pain or joint problems, if his diet is okay.
I would recommend that you buy a shampoo specifically for rabbits/pets. If it isnt too messy/hard, you might find that just warm water with no soap at all will be enough.

Thanks for the help! Though I cannot bring him inside because someone at my house has a major allergy. Will it get worse if I wait any longer?

It will cause his skin to get sore, and potentially infected, and the more it builds up the less he will be able to get to any new caecotropes he produces. In the summer months you run the risk of fly strike, which isnt relevant to you at the moment but worth bearing in mind for when it gets warmer.
If possible you could just bring a tub of warm water to a porch/hallway and just wash him and let him dry there? If not, you'll have to take him to a vet to help you, you can't really leave it.

If it's not bad, I know some people will very carefully trim the poopy fur away. It has to be done carefully though, as not to nip the skin.

As Popsicles mentioned, some health issues like arthritis and obesity can cause this, but most often I have found it is either due to too many carbs/treats in the diet(including the carbs/sugars found in pellets) and/or not enough of coarse indigestible fiber(think stalky grass hay stems). Other foods like some veggies/greens and very rich soft leafy grass hay, can sometimes also cause this, it's just not as common as carbs/sugars are to be the culprit..

Once a rabbits carbs/sugars are decreased and grass hay consumption is increased, the problem usually corrects itself. It's called intermittent soft cecotropes, when the microflora in the rabbits cecum is unbalanced due to excess carbs, causing the cecotropes to not be formed properly and to come out semiformed or unformed and pasty, being left uneaten by the rabbit and sticking to their fur, while the rabbits fecal balls remain normal and not to be confused with diarrhea where the fecal poop is messy and which is considered an emergency.
https://rabbit.org/intermittent-soft-cecotropes-in-rabbits/

Latest posts

Back