Poop help!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poop???

• Ok

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ok

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sue Kiley

Reaction score
Hi I'm in need of some friendly advise if anyone can see (I have no clue about the forum 101) this or is still awake at almost 3:00a.m. I've never done this before so please bare with me! I only have one question, well lots actually, but one important one, or so I think! Does anyone know why my bunnies regular shaped poop smell like cecotropes? I adopted my rabbit 9 months ago, I've never had a rabbit and always thought about getting one, and of course I'm very very happy that I did, but my bunny Rodney was in a cage from birth on and was completely neglected. When I got her I brought her to the vet right away and the vet could not believe how bad the mites were in her ears even on the outside! I found it really odd that she just kept scratching and shaking her head! Now mind you, I have No clue as to Anything about rabbits All I know is that when I looked at that little bunny and his floppy ears, I fell madly in love instantly. (I named my Bun Rodney after a Friend i remembered from years ago! Lol) However, i dropped him off to be neutered and when i picked him up i said How'd it go, ok?" they said, we didn't neuter him, we spayed him because she is a girl!!!" Omg I cracked up laughing and so did the girls there lol. But getting back to my ?...I've been having a very hard time getting her to trust me, she is doing so much better from when i first got her, but she still seems so afraid at sudden movement! When I brought her in for her fourth treatment for the mites her vet told me that she thought that Rodney was deaf. I was beside myself, I knew something was weird when I dropped a pan in the kitchen, and she didn't even budge. So I've also been trying to teach her some sign language, which, she's getting pretty good at! But the main reason I'm here is because sometimes Rodney's regular sized poop is kind of soft and slimey and they smell like cecotropes! Does anyone have any ideas??? Id really appreciate any advice!!! Sorry for writing a book but I just got home from work and I can't sleep!

What is she eating and what are they doing for the mites? I would never be able to teach sign language to a bunny

Is her fecal poop oval shaped at all on a regular basis? Is there any mucous/jelly in her poop? Are you sure it's the fecal poop that is soft/slimy and not the cecals coming out this way? The way to know is if she is producing normal round fecal balls soon before and afterwards.

What's her diet like: type of pellets and amount, type of hay, any veggies or treats? How much does she weigh? Does the soft poop seem to coincide with any foods she gets fed?

If you can post a picture of the soft poop and her normal fecal poop, that might be helpful.

Hi I give my bun less than 1/4 col of pellets, mostly oat hay (It's the only one she likes but I mix Timothy hay in it too) also orchard grass and meadow.
Her mites are gone, after 4 rounds of revolution and drops. Thank God!
Her poop are sometimes soft and slimy but I've never seen any kind of mucus inside. She goes leave a few cecos in her box so I know what they look and SMELL like! WOW!!! Lol I'll post a pick after her dinner. I change her box after she eats breakfast but she's sleeping now and won't be up until 6ish so I will after she eats.
As far as veggies and treats go, I was giving her to many treats so I stopped for a col days and only give her a cpl grasps in the evening 3 days a week. She's very fussy with her salad! She's fussy! She only likes, parsley, chicory, green leaf lettuce and sometimes she'll eat spinach. I also give her 1 green bean a day. No one particular thing she eats makes her poop oval and mushy. I'm puzzled by why her fecal poop SMELL like ceco"s? There is hay, pellets and fur, she's molding! I brush her 1- times a day!

If you're concerned about your rabbits poos, I would cut out all treats and that daily green bean too (high in sugar and acidic). Treats are just that - a treat - so they aren't a necessary part of a bunny's diet. Some rabbits seem to be able to eat more treats without any effect. Some are more sensitive. But that would be my first action -- cut out all treats and encourage that hay eating. See if that clears things up. If nothing else, that can help narrow down the possible cause/source.

I forgot to write that she's a Holland Lip and weighs 5 lbs

Hi thanks for your quick reply. I'll stop the treats
I didn't think green beans had a lot of sugar. I'll eliminate them.
As far as her salad goes, I can still keep giving to her right? I know it's important for their digestion. I give her a fist full in the morning and a fist full before dinner?
I'm sorry for all the questions, but when I saw her it was Very obvious she was totally neglected. I've read so many things online and have tried their suggestions with little to no results. I just want a happy bunny that Binkies around the Living room. She's deemed that her room! Lol she can go anywhere but likes the LR. I do appreciate the time your taking to help me! Thank you so much!

I agree, stop the sugary treats. Leafy greens/salad should be fine.

So she does have oval shaped fecal poop on a regular basis(every day) then? Does she produce normal round fecal balls too?

I agree, stop the sugary treats. Leafy greens/salad should be fine.

So she does have oval shaped fecal poop on a regular basis(every day) then? Does she produce normal round fecal balls too?
Hi her poop has been better, although she did a bunch of oval ones yesterday. Regular but oval. Her poop today has been good! A few dark soft ones but much better! I give her a fist full ov veggies twice a day, could that maybe be to much? She Loves basil but I'm going to go back to spinach and chicory. I stopped the fruit about 3 weeks ago.

I grow basil and my rabbits get lots of basil all during the growing seasons. It is well tolerated (apparently). This shows how much they get daily.
upload_2018-7-31_16-23-25.png

The breeder I got her from said she starts all her bunnys on greens as soon as they start eating semi solid food, I have heard of greens not being good for young rabbits, why is it that way?

If they start them young when momma was also getting greens, they do just fine from what I understand. :)

The only problem comes when breeders do not feed greens at all to their rabbits. Then the babies who have had no exposure to greens (either directly or through momma's milk) will not have any tolerance for those greens until their digestive system and its bacterial balance are more matured. If they are fed greens before about 12 weeks of age, they can get runny poo or diarrhea which can be quite serious (possibly fatal). Since people often get young rabbits from pet stores or other sources where they do not know if greens were offered, it is recommended to "play it safe" and not offer greens until 12 weeks of age. This, of course, wouldn't apply to your bunny since you know she's already good with greens.

Ok, my bunny is somewhere around 8 months and I've only suspected seeing cecos, none that I was actually sure of. I'm dyyyying of curiosity here though after reading these posts....what DO they smell like?! lol

Latest posts

Back