Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaleehill

Reaction score
Hi! I’ve had my bun for 4 months now and this is the first time there’s been a poop change so i’m quite nervous! I dug through all of his poop and the photos are my findings (I look at his poop everyday, always making sure there’s never a change since I was told it’s a big thing and so I have been very on top of it! so this all is within 24 hours!) I also heard him fart for the first time, and grind his teeth for a few moments also for the first time today. I spend a good amount of time with him so I know these are firsts atleast around me. One of the poops had gooey yellowish on it, and all were squishy, when i dissected the one with the larger point by itself it was a piece of Alfalfa I believe. Please let me know if a vet trip should be happening or if i’m just an over reacting mama🥺❤️

Attachments

• 64AD6CED-8AF3-4A2B-BC45-3FEF86F7D6B5.jpeg
    64AD6CED-8AF3-4A2B-BC45-3FEF86F7D6B5.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 00E52237-0231-4259-AD31-D8C440DB444E.png
    00E52237-0231-4259-AD31-D8C440DB444E.png
    541.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 2A7431AE-DFFC-446A-80E0-DA00AAB74C42.jpeg
    2A7431AE-DFFC-446A-80E0-DA00AAB74C42.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 6
Also sorry one of the photos is blurry i was taking a video and screen shotted from it!

Sounds like GI-Stasis,
I would give him some baby gas drops
1-2cc every hour for 3 hours.

How long has he been like that if it’s been over 9 hours I would take him to a rabbit savy vet.

Rabbit Savy Vet List:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...et-listings/&usg=AOvVaw2Ab4_0hgqYJSpgMShAQFUl
Would they sell this at tractor supply? He has been acting as if nothing is wrong! He only farted (audibly) once in my presence and grinder his teeth for about 10ish seconds while sitting up looking around, but is still eating his alfalfa and hopping around!

Well the fact he’s eating is really good,
he‘s farting because that’s his body’s way of getting rid of gas.

But still get the baby gas drops.

Can you get it today GI-Stasis can be deadly in 12 hours.
Sadly no i really wish i could, closest walmart is 1 hour away and it closed 2 hours ago because of corona still :( i’m searching around to see if any stores locally will have it early tomorrow morning

If he's still eating normally, then you shouldn't need to worry about giving the gas drops. Has the poop returned to normal? Have you fed anything new in the last 24 hours, or opened a new bag of pellets or hay? Any changes in his environment or anything that could be a cause of stress?

If he's still eating normally, then you shouldn't need to worry about giving the gas drops. Has the poop returned to normal? Have you fed anything new in the last 24 hours, or opened a new bag of pellets or hay? Any changes in his environment or anything that could be a cause of stress?
I will admit I was giving him these threats with his food for the past week or two but not the past 3 days, it was a mix of nuts with some pellets that I had found and thought would be encourage him to eat less alfalfa and more pellets, (he has unlimited alfalfa due to being an out door bun, the bottom half of his cage I have filled with it) Now that i’m thinking the cut off of his treats could just be making his stomach go through a small change :( and I haven’t been able to check the poo in a bit (currently 3 am for me ) but I am going back out soon to check, just at this point everyone around me is sleeping and i live in a camper so I can get up and wake everyone up or I prob would have checked him every single half hour

I will admit I was giving him these threats with his food for the past week or two but not the past 3 days, it was a mix of nuts with some pellets that I had found and thought would be encourage him to eat less alfalfa and more pellets, (he has unlimited alfalfa due to being an out door bun, the bottom half of his cage I have filled with it) Now that i’m thinking the cut off of his treats could just be making his stomach go through a small change :( and I haven’t been able to check the poo in a bit (currently 3 am for me ) but I am going back out soon to check, just at this point everyone around me is sleeping and i live in a camper so I can get up and wake everyone up or I prob would have checked him every single half hour
Don't give treats, especially not nuts. Alfalfa is not great either. He can have some alfalfa if he is under 7 months but he should be eating a large amount of grass hay and very little else.

Here is his poo now!and all that i can tell is looking like this. I’m guessing it’s from me taking away his extra snacks and stuff, i thought i was being a good mama giving him a little extra cause he always gets so so happy from them, but this is looking very close to what his usual does! It still has that shiny look too it, and some pieces are still slightly looking like one of the ones that come out slightly pointy like last night, but no more of the possible mucus ones that I can tell! I’m hoping this is a good sign?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Don't give treats, especially not nuts. Alfalfa is not great either. He can have some alfalfa if he is under 7 months but he should be eating a large amount of grass hay and very little else.
I feel so dumb now ! My local stores only have nut like treats for bunny’s so i’ve always just gotten those for him and he was so in love ! And i’ve never seen grass hay, i only have him on unlimited alfalfa to burrow through although he does eat a good amount i’ve always been told he could have unlimited to eat, but i’m gonna go searching for grass hay today! Thanks!

Here is his poo now!and all that i can tell is looking like this. I’m guessing it’s from me taking away his extra snacks and stuff, i thought i was being a good mama giving him a little extra cause he always gets so so happy from them, but this is looking very close to what his usual does! It still has that shiny look too it, and some pieces are still slightly looking like one of the ones that come out slightly pointy like last night, but no more of the possible mucus ones that I can tell! I’m hoping this is a good sign?
Edit: I found one more of the two poops connected by hair?

I second that if you have him for 4 months he is probably at least 6 months now and shouldn't have alfalfa at all. He needs to be on unlimited grass hay (meadow, timothy, orchard etc). Those bad poos in your first photos look pretty bad and the snacks with nuts can be responsible for that as well. One of my rabbits Peter came to me with the same problems, except he was an adult and had no alfalfa, but he was practically on unlimited snacks containing grain, dairy and muesli type pellets, he loved his dairy balls with nuts and grain but he was very ill I've spent 10 days holding him on me, massaging his belly every hour etc, I honestly thought he won't make it. He was also grinding teeth and all. Belly massages help a lot, I regularly check all my rabbits massaging their bellies but I hold them on my knee never on a table.
If you can't get gas drops maybe you have dill or fennel seeds in your kitchen? You can brew some and filter and this tea (no sugar or sweeteners, just brewed fennel or dill seeds) will work same way as gas drops. If you don't have fennel/dill, you can make chamomile tea but fennel would be best I believe.

At 4-6 months babies usually transferred to adult food and they shouldn't be getting any alfalfa, only grass hays so if you can get hay asap it would help a lot.

For the poop connected by hair, brush a lot, give lots of hay and make sure he is hydrated.

If two poos connected by hair it means that he cleans himself and consumes his hair, maybe he's in molt now?
It's no problem if he eats lots of hay because hay helps pushing it all out, if there's just a few connected poos no need to worry much but as above said if you can brush him to help with molting he will consume less hair. If he gets no hay hair can make blockages

Latest posts

Back