Poo hanging off bum..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhoenixTheMiniLop

Reaction score
I've come home today and noticed that a poo is hanging from her bum, looks like it may be attached to a piece of hay? What should I do? Is this bad?

Also got her out to play with her and she didnt seem interested in her grass which she always loves and my partner tried to pick her up to check her bum more closely and she ran into her hutch and upstairs and hasn't really moved...

Does any of this behavior sound bad??

:pray:

I think it could be bad because if sounds like she might have a blockage or something stuck. Especially since she isn't eating her favourite thing and is hiding. I would take her to a vet ASAP.

Ok what other behavior comes with a bun having a blockage so I can monitor her? Thanks for answering my thread.

I've just gotten home from being out, and she is out of her hutch. I've given her some pellet mix and she's eating it and she has been drinking her water. I will keep an eye on her and take her to the vet tomorrow.

What are other symptoms of a blockage?? So I can keep an eye out for it

Poops seem to be the way and she is binkying everywhere like a crazy cat and she is laying the same and relaxing...

I am going to buy her more pellets this morning as the bag that the breeder gave me is all gone, I didn't know you had to gradually change her diet so she didnt get sick.. Will this be ok???

When a rabbit has GI stasis(gut slowdown) and could develop a potential blockage, a rabbits eating and pooping starts to slow down and will usually stop completely as the stasis progresses, which can then end up in a blockage occurring.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.pdf

Just based on your description, to me it doesn't sound like your bun has stasis, but likely has something called cecal dysbiosis, if your bun is producing normal sized and consistency fecal poop along with the mushy cecals. If both kinds are mushy, then it could be bacterial enteritis or coccidiosis and you should get her to your vet immediately. If the fecal poop is smaller than usual, than it could be the start of stasis.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm
http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-droppings.asp

Cecal dysbiosis is where the microflora in the rabbits cecum becomes unbalanced, leading to mushy cecotropes sticking to the rabbits bottom. When not corrected this can further progress to more serious digestive illness such as bacterial enteritis. Cecal dysbiosis can be caused by stress, antibiotics, dental issues, arthritis, other underlying health issues, pathogenic bacteria or protozoa, but most commonly it is caused by an imbalance in the rabbits diet. Sometimes a rabbit can be sensitive to a particular food such as a certain veggie or hay, but most often it is caused by excess carbohydrates and sugars in the diet and/or not enough indigestible fiber.
http://rabbit.org/intermittent-soft-cecotropes-in-rabbits/
http://rabbit.org/disorders-of-the-cecum/

I can think of a few things that could be causing your buns problem. Fresh grass can sometimes be too rich if it is early growth, the pellet mix will have been high in carbohydrates, the alfalfa hay can sometimes cause digestive upset, too many carbs from the oat hay if it has mature seed heads in it, if you had started switching to the new food too quickly, or if your bun was eating too many pellets and not enough hay. Usually when cecal dysbiosis is due to a dietary cause, the best thing to do is an elimination diet, where you cut everything back to grass hay only until the dysbiosis clears, then gradually start adding things back in one at a time. If this is attempted, you have to make sure your bun is eating hay well and that the hay is the right sort that will help and not contribute to the problem.

These are just steps that I would take in a similar situation, but when making diet changes for your own rabbit you should do your own research and consult a really good rabbit vet. I would be cutting the alfalfa hay and fresh grass out of the diet for now, as they can be a cause for mushy poop. I would hold off on introducing the new pellets for a short time until the mushy poop issue has cleared up, provided the bun is eating the hay really well to make up for no pellets, and then after it has been clear for several days to a week, gradually start reintroducing pellets slowly, over a couple weeks. Then I would feed only unlimited oat hay until the mushy poop has been cleared up for a few days, dependent on a few things. Is the hay all leafy green oat hay, a mix of leaf and stems, or is it mature oat hay with all or mostly mature stalks? Does it contain mature seed heads that still contain the oats? Does your bun eat her hay really well? Once the mushy poop has been cleared up for several days on a hay only diet, then I would gradually start adding things back into the diet one at a time, starting with pellets.

Another thing to seriously consider is whether or not there is a problem with pathogenic bacteria like e. coli or clostridium, or a protozoal infection from coccidia. These can be difficult to determine as a cause for mushy poop when there is only a mild infection or it's just starting out without more definitive signs, and if these are the cause of the mushy poop then it is a very serious condition that requires immediate vet attention. Since it is difficult to determine if this is the cause, if you suspect this at all get your bun to a good rabbit vet right away and get her poop tested.

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-digestive-system.asp

She is doing her solid little pellet poos and they are normal size but i've noticed that shes stopped doing her soft mushy poos that she will usually have a nibble of? Is this bad that she isn't producing these mushy poos at all??

She eats her oaten hay quite a bit, and also ate her pellet mix (from the breeder) but that has run out and today I got some alfalfa based pellets which i heard are good for buns and and doesn't seem interested in them at all, i gave her some this morning and it looks like she hasn't even touched them... I have some lucerne hay here that i also offer in small amounts and she is in love with it!!!! Its matured oaten hay stems which she seems to like and i've only come across some stems with the oat seeds on the ends but not many at all... are these something to not let her eat?? So i should cut out grass, is that what your saying??

I offered her a timothy hay cube this afternoon but she doesn't seem interested in that...

She is starting to chew on her hutch (obviously shes wanting something tough to chew on) and i nudged her away from it carefully and told her no and she ran upstairs and i think she may of stomped her foot? not once, but twice.. why did she do that? I heard it well because upstairs of her hutch is perspex (tray that slides out) and its covered in oaten hay but she moves it so it creates a little bed for herself i guess.
I've tried to find out what wood is safe for her to chew on but i just dont want to give her the wrong one.. is pine wood ok?

HELP PLEASE

Telling her not to chew on her hutch won't last for longer than the point where you aren't looking anymore, as bunnies can be quite determined to do exactly what you don't want them to, especially when it comes to their own home remodeling. She likely was upset because to her the hutch is'her' home as she sees it, so why shouldn't she be able to chew on it if she wants. That's why you got foot thumped at. Just a ticked off bun is all :) If you don't want her chewing the hutch you need to protect the wood corners with corner guards or other rabbit safe deterrents. Then provide her with wood she can chew. Thoroughly dried pine is ok for them to chew on. I'll buy plain untreated 1x2's from the home improvement store, and use them as edging in my buns pens, that they can chew on and I can take out and replace when they get too chewed down. They like tree branches as well. I posted a link on your other thread, for ones that are rabbit safe.

For the diet changes, those were only if your bun is having a continuing problem with mushy poop. If not and it seems to have cleared up and you are only seeing the normal round fecal poop, then you should be fine to continue with her current diet. Diet changes are only necessary if something is causing digestive upset for the rabbit involved, and regularly producing mushy poop would be a sign of this. Since she's no longer getting her pellet mix, that could have easily been the cause, and the mushy poop may not happen again now that you are no longer feeding it.

The fact that you aren't seeing mushy poop anymore is actually a good thing. When a rabbits microflora in the cecum is off balance, that causes harmful bacteria to start growing instead of just the 'good' bacteria that would normally be in the cecotropes. This harmful bacteria causes the cecotropes to not form correctly, like the blackberry shape it would normally be, and will cause them to come out unformed and pasty, or semiformed. A rabbit can tell that they don't smell right and will often leave them and not eat them like they normally would, thus depriving the rabbit of the needed nutrients that they contain. So just the fact that you aren't seeing them is good and means that your bun is eating them like she should be. Rabbits should normally be eating all of their cecotropes and you should never really be seeing them(except maybe the odd one on occasion), as they are usually reconsumed right as they come out. That's what your bun is doing when she looks like she is grooming her bum and comes up munching on something. So since there doesn't appear to be a digestive problem now, I would just continue with her current diet, and gradually start adding the pellets in.

It may take a few days for her to want to start trying out her new pellets, as they may not taste as good as her other ones or just taste different, but usually they get curious and will give them a try and start eating them. Sometimes you need to provide a little incentive by mixing the new pellets with something they really like. You could try mixing some of her alfalfa leaf in with the pellets, to help encourage her to eat them. You do want to start out the pellets slow to give your rabbits digestive flora a chance to adapt to the new food so that the balance isn't upset. I generally transition onto new pellets over a two week period, gradually increasing the amount each day.
http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/diet-baby.asp

It is good that you are not seeing the mushy poos, if they where cecotrophes she is supposed to eat them so that you never really see them. If you do see them it usually means she is eating too rich of a diet so encourage more hay eating. If you got the Oxbow pellets they are really good for your rabbit but might be bland compared to the other pellet, the other pellet may have had sugar added. People usually mix the old pellets with the new pellets and gradually switch over. If you have access to a willow tree rabbits love willow branches to chew. Pine is ok to chew to but you have to make sure it is untreated.

Yes that is very true - she hasn't been doing much chewing today on her hutch which is good, I got her a chunk of untreated pine wood and offered it to her and she had a little chew but doesn't really seem interested in it...

If I offered more lucerne hay (which is her favourite!) is that bad? Or should I just keep offering her little bits? She still hasn't touched her pellets.. but I've mixed some lucurne in it so hopefully that interests her.

She isn't binkying anymore :( she used to go crazy!! but I've noticed that yesterday or today she hasn't been doing it.. she will just hop around eat a bit, clean herself and flop on the floor. I'm just not sure why she isn't as happy as usual...

She does let me pet her though, I always sit on the floor with her to be at her level and when I pet her she just sits there and lets me do it and I kiss her on the top of her head haha she is so adorable !! I will post a photo .

Thanks so much for all your help, I'm sure you will be getting a lot of more questions off me yet!

Latest posts

Back