Ponazuril/Marquis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ra7751

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

As most of you know, I have no problem exploring treatments "outside the box". While I never wish bad things on any animal, I have really been wanting to explore treating E Cuniculi with a drug called Marquis. Well, it looks like I have my chance. One of our sanctuary bunnies that has had a rough life is presenting stage 1 EC neurological markers. She is down in her left flank and has urinary incontenance with a concentrated and smelly urine....she is soaked.

I am responding with Marquis....which is used to treat EPM in horses...a similar condition to EC. She is getting a NSAID to control the pain of the kidney issues and to hopefully limit the lesion damage in the brain. She is getting penicillin since we know we will have a secondary infection in the urinary tract due to the damage from the shedding spores. We are also supporting her renal system with lots of fluids.

Please send Fifi Laroux(her previous owners thought she wasa French Lop that was too small....she's a mini) healing vibes. Not only do we want to make her better, we hope to gain some valuable data in the fight against this devastating disease.

Randy

This sounds good. I am looking for some information on a treatment course for my Smitten. She is currently on just on Panacur but I am concerned about her kidney issues. I'm guessing that you are doing this under the supervision of a vet. Could you send me information and the name and contact information for the vet? I would like to pass this on my vet.

I wish that the treatment works for Fifi. It will be most interesting to learn what the results will be, because if it's going to be effective, a new weapon against this dreadful illness will be at hand of bunny parents. I wish you success with all my heart, Randy, bless you for all the amazing work you're doing for buns and other animals alike.

Marietta

Hi All,

Bad news on Fifi. We just started the Marquis but she was having problems with her kidneys. She went into acute renal failure this morning. While I could keep her alive, she would not be living anything near a quality life. I don't want any animal to suffer just for the sake of finding out a little bit more information....and she was suffering. We decided to make the ultimate decision and we humanely sent her on the next part of her journey. She had a very tough life. The early part of her life was spent being over fed in an enclosed outdoor hutch with only one small screened window to see the outside. She was not the friendliest rabbit when she came here but it wasn't her fault. She learned to trust us and became a wonderful rabbit. And she lost the weight that she was burdened with. Maybe if we could have acquied the Marquis earlier....but we have a large supply now and will apply the lessons learned from Fifi when this nasty affliction rears it's ugly head again.

We sent you on a journey not because we didn't love you....but because we love you too much to force you to stay.

Farewell Fifi....you will never be forgotten. Binky free. :bigtears:

:angelandbunny:So Sorry, Randy!!

Fifi was really lucky to have you with her in her last days.

Like in the Velveteen rabbit story "You don't become real until you are loved"....
Fifi was loved and now she can move on....
Binky free little sweetheart:bigtears:

Sounds like she was in renal failure before starting the Marquis. Sorry for the loss. Never an easy decision but it was for the best. She was well loved at the end.

Thanks guys. She went down quickly. I think the medical term is "crashed". I don't think the Marquis had any negative effect whatsoever. I did notice some improvement in some of the neurological issues in the brief time she had Marquis. We were already supporting her renal system prior to her receiving the Marquis. We have learned from our experiences with EC that the end will ultimately come due to acute renal failure. Those kidneys take a beating from those spores. There is only so much you can do in that situation.

Randy

Im so sorry to hear this, Randy.

She was lucky to know love and care during the time she shared with you.

Rest in peace, little one. :bunnyangel:

Latest posts

Back