Pokey -- The Titanic Of Turtles!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBoyHarper

Reaction score
I thought I'd post some pictures of my gal PokeyThe Speedy Turtle, well known as the Titanic of Turtles! I took somepretty good pics (if I may say so myself :cool:) of her earlier andthought I'd share her queen-ness with everyone!

pokey-1.jpg

pokey-2.jpg

pokey-3.jpg

pokey-4.jpg

pokey-5.jpg

Yeah, the yard is pretty sweet, the buns and turtle enjoy it a lot.

Varna, Pokey is an eastern box turtle. She's about 3 years old and she was a recue. :)

Turtles are awesome! I used to have one, exceptit was the size of my palm full grown. I saw a turtle that looked justlike that one in my backyard, he was making his way to the woods :wave:

She's beautiful, MBH! I too love turtles, hadalways wanted one when I was growing up. The only time I ever owned anythough, was when my son was little and I bought two red-eared slidersfor him. They lived in an aquarium and had a grand time, and my sonused to love watching them. Then I got the great idea of putting somegoldfish in the water section of the tank, just to make it 'prettier'.Well, the fish were there for a couple of weeks and seemed to bethriving, but then one morning my son (who was 3) woke me up, veryupset. "Mom!!! Mom!!! The fish escaped!" Well, I told him that fishcan't escape from an aquarium, they had to be hiding somewhere behind arock or plant. But he kept insisting I go look, and so I did. No fish.What I did spot though, was one lone fin at the bottom of the tank, andtwo turtles with incriminating smiles on their faces.

So I told my son that yes, indeed...somehow the fish had escaped...:?

oops, got carried away there...

MBH, I forgot to ask...how big will Pokey get? I love her face! :)

Bassett, cute story, I litterally LOL'd at it!

Pokey is roughly 4-5 years old and should be a bit bigger than what sheis right now. However, she was a rescue and her growth was stunted.

I got her from a little boy whose parents were not very.... parental(too say the least, but I'll be nice.) He found her about 2 years agoin his grandmother's garden, broughther home, and his parentslet her keep him. But instead of doing any type of research in order togive the turtle the best life possible, or any life at all, they stuckit in a broken 10 gallon tank with newspaper and a water bowl. They fedit earthworms about once a month and that was it. No regular meals, noveggies, no UVB light, no heat lamp, not even dirt!

He never wanted to give her up (he was a little boy with a turtle, ofcourse not) but eventually his parents made him whenever he moved inwith his real dad on the other side of the state. So he asked if Iwanted her and I jumped on the oppourtunity and took her immediately.:cool:

10 inches sounds like a nice size for a turtle.:)She does have a really expressive face, esp in the close-uppics you took. I noticed a month or two ago that one of the local petstores here (one I absolutely hate, as they tend to sell sick animals,and on any given day the staff don't seem to know very much) brought inturtles recently. The poor things were crammed into an aquarium...theremust've been 30 or more in what looked to be a 15-gallon tank. All weretiny babies, maybe an inch and a half at the most. (I don't thinkthey're even allowed to sell them that young in the U.S. because ofhigher risk of salmonella, but in Canada I guess the laws aredifferent.)

Anyway, Pokey is a beauty! You're so fortunate to be able to have somany four-legged friends in your life...I'm glad you got torescue her. :D

Latest posts

Back