Pls help with month and a half old bunny care

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gucci d Buchi

Reaction score
Hello I was gifted a new 1 & 1/2 month old bunny. This is my first time taking care of a bunny so I need your help. Listed are the things I do and know about rabbits so please give suggestions or correct anything.

• I take him to my room everyday to roam around but at night i keep him caged in the living room because it is freezing in the bedroom.
  • His cage is 2.5 x 2 feet and is covered with bedding ( is it ok if i only keep him there at night?)
  • He always has pellets and hay ( they said i should wait until 5 months to start giving veggies)
  • I put vitamin B drops in his water bottle (the one with the metal ball)
  • I tried giving him water in a bowl because i don't think he gets enough water in a bottle. He doesn't drink from the bowl so idk how to make him drink more
  • I change cage bedding every three days
  • His poop seems normal
  • Pee is like dark but not too dark yellow

• Please give suggestions 🙏

You should add a hidey house for them! So they have a place to go when scared or want comfort. Also, maybe some toys. :)

I think soft blankets are better than bedding. Also, do they have a litter box?

Congrats on your new bunny!

At his age, unlimited hay and pellets is fine. You want him eating lots of hay. If he favors the pellets too much -- enough that it causes him to eat less hay -- then you may need to cut back on the amount of pellets.

Skip the vitamins in the water. No need for that. Keep a water bowl under the drip of the water bottle. He'll figure out how to drink from the bowl. The more hay they eat, the more water they'll drink.

It is best for his cage to be in the same space as his exercise area. So it'd be better to either keep the cage in your room OR bunny proof the living room area to make it safe for exercise if the cage remains there. If you are able to sleep in the temperature of your room, then it isn't too cold for the rabbit.

Since he's so young, he is now tolerating you carrying him from the living area to your room. That is a dangerous habit to get into. As he grows, he will come to hate being picked up and moved about like that. It is not advised to do so. It can sabotage your attempts to bond with him. It is also risky since when (not if) he squirms at some point, he could get squeezed too hard (as you try to keep him from falling) OR he will actually fall. Either scenario could injure him.

Having his cage and exercise area separate also makes it difficult to litter train. He should have constant access back to both his litter box and his cage while he is out exercising. He needs the litter box for obvious reasons. But he also needs access to his cage for security. He will feel safer if he knows he has a place (his cage) to retreat whenever he desires.

Urine color can vary greatly from yellow to deep orange.

I'd suggest browsing around the pages on the following website (my site). The topics under the "Caring" tab will address several of these topics.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/

Congrats on your new bunny!

At his age, unlimited hay and pellets is fine. You want him eating lots of hay. If he favors the pellets too much -- enough that it causes him to eat less hay -- then you may need to cut back on the amount of pellets.

Skip the vitamins in the water. No need for that. Keep a water bowl under the drip of the water bottle. He'll figure out how to drink from the bowl. The more hay they eat, the more water they'll drink.

It is best for his cage to be in the same space as his exercise area. So it'd be better to either keep the cage in your room OR bunny proof the living room area to make it safe for exercise if the cage remains there. If you are able to sleep in the temperature of your room, then it isn't too cold for the rabbit.

Since he's so young, he is now tolerating you carrying him from the living area to your room. That is a dangerous habit to get into. As he grows, he will come to hate being picked up and moved about like that. It is not advised to do so. It can sabotage your attempts to bond with him. It is also risky since when (not if) he squirms at some point, he could get squeezed too hard (as you try to keep him from falling) OR he will actually fall. Either scenario could injure him.

Having his cage and exercise area separate also makes it difficult to litter train. He should have constant access back to both his litter box and his cage while he is out exercising. He needs the litter box for obvious reasons. But he also needs access to his cage for security. He will feel safer if he knows he has a place (his cage) to retreat whenever he desires.

Urine color can vary greatly from yellow to deep orange.

I'd suggest browsing around the pages on the following website (my site). The topics under the "Caring" tab will address several of these topics.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/
Thank you so much 😁 i will start bunny proofing my living room and let him stay there. Litter training is kinda going well because he does poop and pee in the litter box but sometimes still do it everywhere.

Latest posts

Back