Please please help. Bunny is limping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylor_wt

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just got back from a week of vacation and my bunny (10 month old male holland lop) is limping. He’s not putting pressure on one of his back legs and looks like he’s dragging it. I’m completely devastated... he’s my baby and I can’t afford any expensive surgery. I have no idea what could’ve happened and neither does my aunt. She doesn’t have a ton of experience with rabbits so maybe she didn’t handle him right? Also the last 3 days he’s been cooped up in his cage, which he’s not typically used to - not sure if that could have anything to do with it? He is eating and pooping normally but is laying down more frequently. I’m just very flustered and this is my first rabbit. ANY tips or advice at all will be helpful and so appreciated.

I will call my vet in the morning (it’s night time here and closed currently) and see what they say.

Bring him to the vet indeed. Better be safe than sorry! I once had a bun doing the exact same thing (dragging her leg but still hopping around, including happily pooping, eating) and it turned out she had a broken leg. We had it amputated, it was quite cheap actually (around 150-250 euros) so don't worry about expensive treatment just yet.

It could also be something less severe, but I'm just sharing my experience to show that worst cases do not have to mean expensive treatment.

If it is broken it may not need amputation. Our rabbit had a pretty bad break at her back ankle. With some pain meds and restricting her movement to a small area for a few weeks it mended with no problems afterward.

Bring him to the vet indeed. Better be safe than sorry! I once had a bun doing the exact same thing (dragging her leg but still hopping around, including happily pooping, eating) and it turned out she had a broken leg. We had it amputated, it was quite cheap actually (around 150-250 euros) so don't worry about expensive treatment just yet.

It could also be something less severe, but I'm just sharing my experience to show that worst cases do not have to mean expensive treatment.

Thank you for the reply! I brought him in and turns out his hip is dislocated. I’m so sad but thankful it’s not worse. He’ll need surgery but his doctor is amazing and she provided some resources that could help with the cost and she gave me a discount!

Latest posts

Back