PLEASE HELP!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helena

Reaction score
Today at 2:22 AM
Yesterday Bunster was playing and she bit and pulled her cage door (she does that if she wants to go somewhere and she needs to move it.). Then, she jumped back and I immediately made sure she was ok. She had some blood in her nose. My mother (whose a health expert) told me to put some iodine on it to clean it. I put it on a Q-tip and cleaned it. Now she won't eat hard food. I don't have critical care handy but im going to try to convince my mom to take me to the vet and then get some critical care. What can i use for food that's soft until then?

I just did a mix of pellets and water to a paste with some banana to get her to eat the weird looking stuff. I put some in my hand and got her to eat it. I'm not sure how good it is for her to go without hay though. She can't live off pellets for a while right? I'm going to ask my parents if they will take us to the vet tomorrow. Actually its past my curfew now and they don't know im up 😬. I'm just worried. I'm going to check on her now then head up to bed.

Every time i walk by her cage she looks up expectantly like she expects me to help her or feed her a treat. This is so heartbreaking. I called the only vet thats open this late and they dont specialize in rabbits. Tomorrow im going to beg until we go. I'm going to syringe feed her right now then should i get up at intervals to feed her? I know rabbits eat continually. Should I just stay up tonight? What do I do?

I went to syringe feed her and saw her eating some of the mash on her own. Yay (i think). When I had tried to syringe feed her, it didn't work. She didn't want it in her mouth and jerked away. Not sure if i hurt her or she was startled. Either way, i gotta get to bed before my dad comes out and finds me up =D!

Hi, feeding her the mush was right, just keep offering it to her if she eats some on her own.
What is her normal diet, are there greens or veggies she really likes? Offer her everything she's used to, except too much sugary treats. You can offer her some damp kitchen oatmeal or rolled oats, or mix it into the mush, about a teaspoon to start with.
Keep an eye on her poop, does she poop, ist it smaller than usual, etc.

I also would make her move somewhat every now and then make her hop around for a few minutes, kind of distracting her from her nose, and putting a variety of food bits right in front of here then (and leave her alone, not staring at her in anticipation). That's not on an official to-do list, just something I do, I think a little movement is good for their appetite, helps to keep things moving.

Syringe feeding is a slow, messy affair. It takes some practice, and an extra set of hands could help.
Try to get half-pea-sized bits behind her front theeth from the side if she doesn't eat on her own. Patience, let her finish each bite, and a little time to consider if that wasn't so bad after all.
Do you have a syringe that works? A coffee blender can help to get pellets really fine, you can also add kitchen oatmeal - they like it and it is easily digestible.

You can feed her 2-3 times through the night, dI wouldn't stay up but set an alarm. I needed at least 20 minutes for 10-20ml.

Might not be the most obvious thing to do, but what about asking your father for help if you need it, it's a difference between asking for help or for permissions, also, caring for an animal teaches things you're not going to learn in shool.
If she doesn't start to eat on her own til tomorrow (always try offering her stuff for 10 minutes before syringe feeding her) see that you get her to a vet asap.

Last edited:
I went to syringe feed her and saw her eating some of the mash on her own. Yay (i think). When I had tried to syringe feed her, it didn't work. She didn't want it in her mouth and jerked away. Not sure if i hurt her or she was startled. Either way, i gotta get to bed before my dad comes out and finds me up =D!
My bun hates syringe feeding , but if your need to syringe feed i'd try squeezing some onto her lips for her to taste and if she wants more , give her more . If she doesn't wait awhile , maybe give her some leafy greens and oatmeal , like pretlier said .

Good luck with your bun!

Thank you for responding. She still hasn't eaten much. I've never had to use critical care but do you use it in situations like these? Should i get some? I told my mom we needed to take her to the vet and she said that Bunster just needs time to heal. I need reasons so my mom will take me! Or is she right? She said there is nothing the vet can do to heal Bunster if we don't even give her time to heal. I know she can't exist on pellets and veggies.......can she? :(

Thank you for responding. She still hasn't eaten much. I've never had to use critical care but do you use it in situations like these? Should i get some? I told my mom we needed to take her to the vet and she said that Bunster just needs time to heal. I need reasons so my mom will take me! Or is she right? She said there is nothing the vet can do to heal Bunster if we don't even give her time to heal. I know she can't exist on pellets and veggies.......can she? :(
I've purchased cc today .
If she doesn't start eating soon , she may need to go to the vet .

I would get cc , if possible , my bun , hurt her mouth and will only eat lettuce at the moment , so i will have to start syinge feeding again , if this continues .

I don't know if they can live on just pellets and veg , sorry.

Syringe feeding reminds me of when i had rescue baby birds, only they at least opened their mouths ;). I gave her some lettuce (just a little bit) and i was surprised when she ate that along with some cilantro and a little bit of kale.

Syringe feeding reminds me of when i had rescue baby birds, only they at least opened their mouths ;). I gave her some lettuce (just a little bit) and i was surprised when she ate that along with some cilantro and a little bit of kale.
Yay , hooray!
Good luck bun bun!

Latest posts

Back