please help!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheridan

Reaction score
I really need some advice and quick.

Today we had some guests over includinga 13 year old boy who tried to grab Furby by the scruff of the neck and only stopped when I shouted at him. Furby then ran to her hiding place. This was about 4pm.

I came home just now to put her back in her hutch and she was still in her hiding place and hasnt moved. She wont even come out for food. I managed to get her out and she ran back to the hutch and flopped out.

Here comes the wierd part. I was able to stroke her without her moving.I mean she didnt move at all!!! she hides her face in the corner so no one can see her. I saw her bum whihc had a some poop stuck to it, so I gently picked her up and got my mum to clean her. at this point Furby usually struggles big time but she didnt move. As soon as I put her back in the hutch, she flopped again and stuck her head in the corner!!I brought her inside since she seems to be shivering(not sure if thats because she was outside all this time)

When I brought her back inside she just curled into a ball, put her head down and sat. If I pick her up properly, she grinds her teeth like she is in pain!!

Her breathing seems to be ok but she wont eat anything!!

Could this be that she is just really scared or should I call the vet?

Please help anyone!!!

I frequently am one to say "give them time to calm down a bit" when a rabbit gets scared - but the fact that your rabbit is grinding its teeth says to me that it may be in pain -perhaps it hurt itself in the attempt to get away.

I think I'd get to the vet asap. Have you tried giving your rabbit some of its favorite treats? I think I would try that too just to see if you can entice it to eat.

Peg

I have tried that and she just turns her head away!! Thats why Im so worried because usually she would eat it all!!

How is she? Have you decided to take her to the vet? It seems like a good idea to me, teeth grinding=pain.

Sorry to hear this. Could you have missed anything the boy could've done to her? I hope not, but just wondering if she's hurt. Most likely she's just scared too death. Especially if she's not used to kids and/or company.

Try to get her to eat, maybe try greens. Give her plenty of time to settle down. This could take a couple of days. Get her to eat at this point and see if the grinding stops very soon. If it doesn't then a vet visitmight be a good idea.:D

I called the emergency vet who seems to think from what I have said that Furby is extremely stressed from that idiotic little boy!!

Furby is moving about ok and her breathing is ok and grinds when I pick her up. Otherwise if she is moving about herself she isnt grinding.

She has suggested monitoring Furby for a few hours and then trying toget her to eat and if no progress then I will take her tonight.

I was just outside checking on her. Little Ellie went and curled up wth Furby and they seemed ok. So I disturbed them and heated up their blanket to try and get Furby warmer.

I am going to go and check on them at midnight and see how it is then.

I just want to go and kill that boy!!!

Are you sure she was okay before the incident with the boy? Was the poop on the butt from before or after? Often a frightened bunny will poop outcecal matterduringthe 'ordeal'. Had she been eating, drinkingand active before that?

Did she seem to be running okay afterwards?

When you pick her up, she seems to be in pain?Or is it stress? Shivering is also a sign of pain.:( She very wellcould have a neck or back injury, it could be a strain or sprain (they are prone to them) or it could bea bone or spinal injury. Is there one part of her you can touch and she shivers more than others? Or grinds her teeth?

She does need to see a vet, but this is a weekend, so is that an issue? Theinjury itself, if that's the problem,isn't likely to get worse if she stays quiet,she can wait until your regular vet is available(unless it's a broken leg or something), but she can't go very long without eating, 24 hours ispretty much the max. 12hours is a concern. Ifit is an injury, you'll probably needxrays to determine where and what so you know how to handle her. You can't forcefeed her without that knowledge.

She'll need to stay calm (and you have to stay calm around her), and warm. If there's any way you can get her to drink some warm waterfrom a syringewithout forcing it, moving or neckor stressing her out, that would be great.Maybe spike it with a little honey or juice.

Let us know how she is.

sas :pray:

I went out to see her again and try and get her to eat anything. she seems to have stopped shivering and is sitting right next to the blanket. What she does do is turns her head away from me when I come near her. She isnt grinding her teeth at all now and she is moving around the enclosed part of the hutch, just moving from one comfy spot to the other.

Before this happened she was eating normally and was being her usual self

. Her ears are straight up(if that makes any difference) which is how they normally are.

She still wont eat anything though and I wonder if this is because I keep opening the hutch up and am not letting her settle. She is cuddling up to Ellie like they usually do

She sounds like she'll be okay, like it's stress or a strain or sprain.

Is Elle eating? I'd say just leave a big plate of goodies out, hopefully she won't be able to stand seeing Elle eating themall on her, although it won't help if Elle eats the works, either. ;)

If you can leave a bowl of warmish water spiked with juice for her without Elle drinking it all, that will help. Best to have water available in both a bowl and a bottle.

Just keep an eye on her but let her be for a few hours.

Nose pats and hugs!

sas

Thanks guys for your help. I am going to stop myself from annoying them for a few hrs then I will go and check on her to make sure she is ok. They still have a big bowl of pellets out but if I put anything else in the hutch Ellie will munch away

Just thought I would post a happy ending.

I went out to check on Furby this morning and she is completely fine!!ate all the treats I gave and was moving about. Mum says she was eating all her veggies earlier! Thank God!!

But I think in future I am not going to let anyone but family near them!!!!:colors:

Dont think he is coming back but even if he did my parents have agreed that bunnies will be put away no matter how much he asks...throws tantrums...etc.

I have never really seen my mum and dad that upset for ages. My mum even cleaned Furbys butt even though she never does that. My mum was soscared and upset!!

I did my usual of sitting outside their hutch rattling their treat bag and Furby was the first to coming running out at full speed to get her treats, clambering over me completely!!!

I would say she is completely back to normal.

Now this is the weirdest bit of it all. i dont know if she could sense how much I cared for her or how I was cuddling her when she was scared because today she allowed me to stroke her quite a bit and give her little nose rubs!!!!!!!:colors::bunnydance::colors::bunnydance:

Good to hear that everything is ok.

I've let others around our buns, I just told them not to pick them up,just pet them, lightly. Anyways, I'm glad that that its all good.

Latest posts

Back