PLEASE HELP WITH LITTER BOX TRAINING!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunBunLover06

Reaction score
I have two brother rabbits who just won't use the litter box. I put it in the spot they poop the most but when I do they just lay in the litter box and then go off and poop somewhere else. I would really like to get this done trained but everything I seem to do doesn't work. Does any one know what I should do?

I actually didn't find it hard to make my bunny know where to go even after changing places and litter boxes. All I have to do is put the hay/grass on one end of the litter or above it and when she goes to eat from there she does her business there, I only had three accidents. 2 were when she was only a few weeks old and was still learning and one was when I was cleaning her litter box so she had no where to go, though she did it exactly in the spot where the litter box would be. My advice is to put your rabbits' hay in the litter box or above it and keep putting their droppings in the box until the get used to it. Good luck!

Are these two boys neutered? It is not uncommon for intact males to mark their territory. It also is quite common for two male rabbits to compete with each other to see who can mark the territory the most!

Stray poos are not unusual. Don't worry about stray poos. The main focus of potty training should be the urine. Once they are urinating 100% in the litter box, they are considered trained. The poos will eventually follow (unless they are intact and/or competing over territory). Poos are dry and easy enough to sweep up.

As Alice explained, putting hay in the litter box is an easy way to get the litter training done (after neutering). They like to "go" while they graze.

Wait, "the" litter box? Multiple rabbits and one litter box?! Oooh, mine wouldn't go for that, either :)

I have two rabbits, and they currently four litter boxes (two on each floor). When they were upstairs rabbits, they had three litter boxes -- any fewer, and we'd have problems.

Rabbits are very social, so if one's in a litter box , the other will want to go to the bathroom as well... and he/she needs their own litter box.

Also, the litter boxes need to be large & spacious (rabbits able to turn around within the box), with tasty hay (refreshed twice a day), and in their spot of choosing (you got this one covered).

Yes, it's ridiculous and and a lot of work/litter boxes... but it's what works for my guys.

Neuter status will be more important when it comes to litter training -- especially with two males. The number of litter boxes is up to you. Each of my bonded pairs that I've had would share a single litter box. Never had any issues. I do use large litter boxes as samoth mentions.
upload_2018-9-13_12-39-43.png

My rabbit tends to pee and poop on sawdust, so in the bottom of the litter tray I put sawdust, also when I was training him I put a few droppings in just to prompt him to use it. Good luck :)

Latest posts

Back