please help rabbit ate chocolate

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

lxttlw

New Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2021
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
Location
England
so i went to get something from my bathroom and i went back into my room and my rabbit had gotten onto my bed and ate about an ounce (1 square?) of chocolate from an easter egg, it was lindt chocolate if that helps. i immediately took him away from it and put it out of reach. i feel horrible..
that was about two hours ago, right now he’s breathing quite quickly but he sometimes does that when it’s a bit warm anyway? his stomach is slightly hard but not bloated appearance wise, but he’s eating hay and some veggies (took away his pellets for now to help it pass through) and drinking lots of water. he’s laying down for a while but i think he might be tired, i’m really worried though bc i can’t tell whats his normal behaviour or if it’s related to what he ate.. he’s also grooming like normal
he’s 6 months old and weighs probably 5-6 pounds. i googled and because he only ate around 1g he may be safe but i don’t really trust it. i would take him to the vet but we can’t afford it right now, like seriously cannot afford it and i feel terrible about it.
please, if anyone has any advice or help that i can do at home i’ll do it! please :(
 

Blue eyes

Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
8,419
Reaction score
5,643
Location
Arizona, USA
Lots of hay, plenty of water. He'll push it through. Don't worry. He'd have to eat considerably more for it to be toxic. If he's still eating hay, then his gut should be just fine.
 

lxttlw

New Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2021
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
Location
England
Lots of hay, plenty of water. He'll push it through. Don't worry. He'd have to eat considerably more for it to be toxic. If he's still eating hay, then his gut should be just fine.
thank you so much, i just put him in to bed now and he seems okay, still eating and moving about. i really hope he’s okay, i’ll update in the morning :)
 

Fuz

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2019
Messages
161
Reaction score
178
Location
South Africa
Hi! Off topic but if he's breathing heavy when its warm, it means he needs something to keep cool.
Maybe an ice water bottle or a cold tile could be placed near him, if you can provide this when it's hot?
Hope the chocolate didn't cause any problems. All the best!
 

Latest posts

Top