Please help- rabbit aggressive to new baby kitten!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsKU

Reaction score
Hi guys, i'm new and in desperate need of your advice.

me and my husband have a one year old mini lop rabbit, Kevin. He is actually 1 year and 2 months old. He was neutered in June. He's always been a bossy one and knows he can get his way. he is completely free range in the house so we never lock him in a cage and even when we are in work he was the roam of the living room to himself. he is not too naughty and doesnt destroy stuff. i think he views me as more dominant to him then my husband, as sometimes he can charge at my husband in a rather aggressive manner if my husband done somth he dont like. he bit him a couple of time too in the past. however, although he has been neutered a while ago now, in June, is still retained his boisterous character and don’t take any unwanted ‘crap’ from anyone (sorry for the expression). An example is that you can’t pick him up and hold him for more than sheer seconds, he doesn’t like it and gets out. If need be I managed to learn to flip his over on the back to clean ect.

Anyways, on Sunday night we got a baby kitten, Lily, she is only 8 weeks old and is absolutely tiny. Its been a nightmare. She is very cute and really wants to explore her new home. But Kevin noticed that she’s there right way, started anxiously sniffing the air. And wouldn’t lick me at first when I pet him. Then we put him in a cage and closed it and let Lily out and as soon as he noticed her he lunged at the corner of the cage towards her. That really scared us. As he is way too little to even try to defend herself, is so much smaller than him. When I read online and watched videos on you tube- none absolutely none of them prepared us for us. I thought everything would go fine. And I always thought that all mammals can smell and know when they are confronted with a baby. But Kevin doesn’t seem to act like it. She weights 500grams (a bit underweight as she has ulcers on her tongue and its painful for her to eat, we only found that out after we got her). While Kevin is a big strong healthy buck at 1.6kg.

Anyways, so then we put Lily in a carrier cage and let them sniff each other like that. That seemed to work and then we let her out on the floor and Kevin didn’t mind, he just lay flat on his belly with paws stretched out. But sometime I wonder how good is his vision? Sometimes I feel like he doesn’t see she is in the room so behaves calmly- leading us to false sense of security that they are getting along, when Kevin is just actually oblivious so not aggressive. After that it seemed like the strong has passed and that same evening Kevin came up, calmly came up not charged, to Lily sniffed her nose to nose and then left. So I thought that he established his dominance and then got that she’s a baby and let her be.

However, the next day (that is 2 day of us having her), me and my husband sat on the floor with Lily and then Kevin came up, he sat in the corner of the carpet, hunched up and then he suddenly made a growling sound and charged/raced up toward Lily!!! That seemed like an attack that might end in bloodshed on the part of the kitten so I grabbed Kevin and pressed him to the floor saying no (chin down on the floor- is a more submissive position that he sometimes goes into when he lets me do things to him that he doesn’t like cleaning his years etc). and as soon as I let go he made a growling sound again and charged toward Lily again, so I had to grab him and put him in a cage. It was terrible and I feel devastated. The two days have been an utter nightmare. I want to keep Lily, she is adorable and as far as I know cats and bunnies can be the best of friends. But I don’t want to be unfair on her or Kevin either. So I don’t know what to do.

Please help! Please advise on how to make them get along together? What techniques should we be using if any? Is this a dead end scenario?

hi guys, i missed out one important thing..
yesreday, after all that drama with Kevin, when we took Lily to the vet we found out that she is ill. she has ulcers on her toungue so its painful to ear and hence she is underweight. my husband got very upset about that as Lily cost us a lot of money and i insisted we pay it. and now her treatment would cost half of that too. so he suggested that we should just take her back to the breader and let her be. they will treat her and couse she is still little someone else will adopt her. i felt like i already made a lot of bad decisions and felt it was all partly my faul that everything went wrong and i wasnt better prepared so i set back and let my husband decide. so we took her back yesterday right after the vets.
it broke my hart giving her back. i am an utter animal lover and not prejudiced agaist any type of animal and i love them all. and i would love to have kept her and paid to make her better and look after her. but the whole sitiation with Kevin threw me off guard so much.
i cried my eyes out yesrday all night becouse we gave her back. it seems quiet without her now although we only had her for two days. my huband was really upset too. everything just went so badly worng and we were totally unprepaperd. ny husband said that if i want to we will go back to the breader and take her back. propably look like utter idiots but who cares. so i dont know what to do now, shall we go back and take her back today or just let her be?

Sorry to hear about the kitty and aggression problems. Command Bun-Bun was our first rabbit and she only weighed about two Kilos. We could not bond her with anything--she would attack and bite and then bite me when I pulled her off. She would even go after much larger rabbits. She was a great rabbit and very loving in every other way, but we couldn't let her out with any other of our pets, period.

I'm so sorry this did not go well. I have 4 rabbits and 2 cats. It is cute to see the cats and rabbits play together, but it all depends on the personalities of the animals involved. It sounds like Kevin may do better as an only bun or if you want to try again, perhaps an adult cat that can take better care of itself would be in order? My concern would be a fight might break out with injuries. Perhaps Kevin could meet a potential friend on neutral territory to assess the likelyhood of a friendship? Best of luck.

I have 1 rabbit and 2 cats. I did have one mishap with the bunny and the bigger of the two cats when I first got Harvey (the bunny). Harvey got bit on the ear, which wasn't pretty. However the bunny was chasing the cat and the cat wasn't quite used to the bunny. Now they are ok, bunny still chases the bigger cat. But the cat now thinks it's fun. In fact I think the cat taunts the bunny so bunny will chase him.

However I do not leave them unattended when I am at work. The cats are still predators and the bigger cat loves to play too rough. When it's time for me to go to work or to sleep Harvey goes back into his cage.

So just be careful even adopting an older cat who could hold his own, that older cat may or may not have a high prey drive. I've had cats all my life, I've seen what they can do. Now I trust my cats cause they are indoor only so they haven't had much experience with hunting, plus my senior cat is way lazy and Harvey adores him. The cats don't really view Harvey as prey, but the main thing that concerns me is the 22lb cat playing rough with the 3lb bunny.

Latest posts

Back