Please help- possible heat stroke

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

BunBun71

Reaction score
My rabbit is about to get heatstroke, He flopped in a way that he dose not flop that often. Have any of you guys have any suggestions? Thanks for that help.

-Bunbun71

MiloTheBunny101

Reaction score
  1. move them into a cool, shady area out of the sun.
  2. use a cool, wet towel to dampen their fur. Don't pour water onto them directly to avoid shock.
  3. put them near a fan.
  4. let them drink small amounts of cool water

5. a damp towel over the enclosure.
  6. Allow them to drink small amounts of cool water.
  7. Gently wipe cool water on their ears.
  8. Move their enclosure (if you can) so it's in a cooler place or move them to a cooler (secure) place if that's not an option.
  9. Spray his belly and back with cool water

JBun

Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If he's experiencing actual heat stroke, you need to get him to the vet immediately! Heat stroke is a life threatening emergency!

If he's just a bit hot and experiencing minor heat stress, you can take measures to cool him down. Bring him into an air conditioned environment, mist ears, let drink cool water(not cold).

BunBun71

Reaction score
  1. move them into a cool, shady area out of the sun.
  2. use a cool, wet towel to dampen their fur. Don't pour water onto them directly to avoid shock.
  3. put them near a fan.
  4. let them drink small amounts of cool water

5. a damp towel over the enclosure.
  6. Allow them to drink small amounts of cool water.
  7. Gently wipe cool water on their ears.
  8. Move their enclosure (if you can) so it's in a cooler place or move them to a cooler (secure) place if that's not an option.
  9. Spray his belly and back with cool water
Thank you so much. I will try something

BunBun71

Reaction score
If he's experiencing actual heat stroke, you need to get him to the vet immediately! Heat stroke is a life threatening emergency!

If he's just a bit hot and experiencing minor heat stress, you can take measures to cool him down. Bring him into an air conditioned environment, mist ears, let drink cool water(not cold).

Thanks, I am watching videos on how to take care of him. How do I now if I need to take him to the vet or not?

JBun

Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If he is listless, floppy, salivating, seizures, unresponsive or slow to respond, looks like the rabbit in the video or worse, vet immediately.

This would be what it looks like for a rabbit to be on the border of severe heat stress and possible heat stroke, and one that needs to be brought into an air conditioned car and to the vet immediately.

Last edited:

BunBun71

Reaction score
We brought him in to are basement. In the air conditioning. Thank you everyone for the help. I will post out throw the evening