Please help! My rabbit ate plastic

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GodlyRabbits

Reaction score
My rabbit Apollo, a 3 pound Netherland Dwarf, has eaten a small plastic ZipLock baggy, is he going to be ok? I'm really worried about him because he is laying still and eating his food slower than usual. Please help!

My rabbit Apollo, a 3 pound Netherland Dwarf, has eaten a small plastic ZipLock baggy, is he going to be ok? I'm really worried about him because he is laying still and eating his food slower than usual. Please help!
Keep an eye on him.
Is he eating , pooping?

It can cause a blockage but I think he will be okay.
If he stops eating or gets worse in any way , phone a rabbit-savvy vet.

Make sure he drinks too!
You can add berries or pinnaple juice to water to make it more yummy , and syringe water if needed , but I don't know if that's recommened so , other people might be able to help further but I will help as much as I can!

-jasminebunny

Wait. Did he eat the entire bag?

Try to encourage hay eating as hay has the best chance of moving it through the gut. If he swallowed too much, it can cause a gut blockage. If you don't know whether it is an actual blockage, do NOT force feed anything as that can make things worse.

Keep a close eye that he is still pooping. If not, he will need a vet.

Wait. Did he eat the entire bag?

Try to encourage hay eating as hay has the best chance of moving it through the gut. If he swallowed too much, it can cause a gut blockage. If you don't know whether it is an actual blockage, do NOT force feed anything as that can make things worse.

Keep a close eye that he is still pooping. If not, he will need a vet.
He ate around half of the bag and I don't even know where he got it as his cage is not around anything. I will do that, thank you.

Keep an eye on him.
Is he eating , pooping?

It can cause a blockage but I think he will be okay.
If he stops eating or gets worse in any way , phone a rabbit-savvy vet.

Make sure he drinks too!
You can add berries or pinnaple juice to water to make it more yummy , and syringe water if needed , but I don't know if that's recommened so , other people might be able to help further but I will help as much as I can!

-jasminebunny
He is eating and pooping. Thank you for the advice with the water, I will see if I need to do that later.

You will need to keep an eye even the whole day tomorrow. When my own boy ate plastic, he first shoved signs of blokage the day after and not the same day he had eaten a few bits of the slippers.

I hope everything go well with your bunny, everyone had given good tips ☺️

He is eating and pooping. Thank you for the advice with the water, I will see if I need to do that later.
Just watch him and do not force feed him as Blue eyes said, make sure he eats lots and lots of hay and drinks water, hay will help to push that plastic out sooner. Please bear in mind that some people just like advising other people without really knowing anything so wait for more opinions and do some research as well. Keep close eye on his poos if there's any changes if no poos for a few hours it might be because plastic parts blocked his ways, then you will need to see a rabbit-savvy vet asap.

If he eats hay and poops a lot there's no need to worry this time, but keep all plastic away from him it could be very dangerous. Keep us updated

I wasn't sure if syringing was okay , so please don't syringe , as other peoe ahve said

I just said other people can help on that z sorry .
I just wanted to make myself clear , so people know

I wasn't sure if syringing was okay , so please don't syringe , as other peoe ahve said

I just said other people can help on that z sorry .
I just wanted to make myself clear , so people know
Oh I meant the flavoring the water thing, sorry for the confusion. I don't even have the right things to syringe

Latest posts

Back