Please help me with my humping and spraying bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmberKoenders

Reaction score
- Please don't get upset about my spelling; English is not my native language and I am trying ;) -
- note beforehand: I don't really have the money to get him fixed -

So 2 years ago I 'rescued' a bunny from my friends student house and he (the bunny) has been a problem ever since.
He was about half a year old when I got him and he was already humping everything that got close to him, and he still does. He bites or nibbles your hands/feet, grunts all the time, follows you around, circles your feet, humps you when he gets the chance and he sprays anything and everything.
I hoped this would go away with age as it had gone away for the previous bunnies I had who were also never fixed. But, with this one it doesn't.

A year ago I rescued a dog and the dog and the bunny go along just fine, the dog doesn't see him as prey and actually licks him as she does with puppies sometimes, so no problem there you'd think. Well, the bunny made it his mission it seems to spray her every time he gets out. Within 5 minutes he sprays her and I need to put him back. This actually got worse during the last half year because before he would sometimes also not spray her and just be obsessed with humping..

And here we are now. I have got a bunny that humps me and my dog and that sprays litteraly everything, especially my dog and her bed. I am going crazy about this because I want to give him some exercise but I just can't find a way to do it without him making a huge mess. It doesn't seem to be the dogs fault because she is very chill with him, but he will turn around all of a sudden and spray her and everything around??
(They are always supervised, I never leave them out together alone)

So what should I do? Is there a way I can get him to quiet down a little? And would fixing him help now, when he is almost 3yrs old?
I tried getting him used to a harness so I could walk him (this worked with a previous bun of mine), but he just won't have it. After many times of trying he is still fighting the thing so walking him is not really an option..

I hope anyone can help me with this. I would love to hear some thoughts!
Thank you :)

- Amber

Thanks for reading - bonus pic of the monster being nice for once
WhatsApp Image 2018-11-25 at 22.33.16.jpeg

It’s hard to say whether fixing him will help or not, as by this point even without the hormones humping can be a learned behaviour. However, it should at least lessen the behaviour, and I can’t see any other suggestion since he is just doing what a male bunny is wont to do!

I had a 5 yr.old rabbit neutered, and it did eliminate the excessive hormones and humping, and he was pretty hump crazy before.

I'm not sure you can get rid of the behavior without neutering. I've read of people giving their bun a stuffed animal to direct the humping behavior onto. And not that I would do this or recommend it, but the only thing I have heard of working to stop the spraying for an owner, was doing in kind with a spray bottle. The person said it stopped their buck spraying them. But this couldn't be done in a cold environment, and water has to be kept from getting in the ears.

1st check with the animal rescues, vets & any other resources in your area for help with the cost of a neuter. Many places will give low cost vouchers.
2nd, I had a male that was the same way. Sprayed EVERYTHING that moved. I got him neutered at 2 1/2 & he stopped spraying.

Latest posts

Back