Please Help-Loud Gurgling!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LumLumPop

Reaction score
I was gone from home for 2 days. During that time my sister was supposed to feed my rabbits. She completely forgot to feed any of the animals(including her dog and my four cats) so as soon as I got home I gave them their pellets and refilled their water bottles. Well now,I can hear loud gurgling from Clark's belly! It sound like a water bottle being shaken up. What's wrong with him? He is picking a little bit at his food and he's acting normal,running around a whatnot. Going to a vet or store isn't an option because it's really late. Also my Dad has work and my sister never agrees to take me to the vet! I have feeding syringes. Should I give him some pain medicine the vet gave me for the rabbits? I also heard pedialite was good but I wasn't sure...please help Clark! He's the first bunny I've ever had and I love him so much! Please tell me he isn't hurt or really sick!

Well it could just be that he is super hungry from not being fed, if it keeps going on you should try giving him rabbit milk in a babies bottle or something just make the hole bigger, also clean out his cage and make sure he is deffinately a boy and that he hasn't had any other encounters with another boy but my rabbit is 1 day pregnant and I haven't heard anything but them again only 1 day. If this keeps happening then you should tell your parents and beg them to go the the bets because if he didn't get fed for that log then it could possibly be that he was so hungry he are something on the grass or in his cage that his body doesn't agree with (not sure how they handle their own poo) I hope he gets better and that this was good information :D

Sent from my iPod touch using Rabbit Forum

It sounds like he has gas- there is something called infacol that is for infants with gas- I got some from my grocery store in the baby section- you can give that to your rabbit for gas. Dosage depends on the size of the rabbit. Its supposed to be safe for rabbits. If you want to give it a try google "rabbits gas infacol dosage" you should be able to find the right dosage by googling.

I just found more information on the gas drops you can give your rabbit- infacol/semethicone- on this link http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f22/simethicone-13851/

It says: Simethicone isan inert detergent-like substance which breaks large gas bubbles down into smaller ones, making it easier for them to move on their way through the digestive tract painlessly.

It is important to note that it will only help the air already in thetract to be more readily expelled, or at least more comfortable for the patient.It does not prevent the formation of gas nor does it make intestinal gases disappear.

It passes through the system without being absorbed into the body and is therefore considered safe.

RO EDITOR'S NOTE: Rabbits can receive medications intended for infants, but the dose for rabbits may wellbe much higher than what is prescribed for an infant. Larger rabbits may do betterwith adult brands.

US Brand Names

Anti-Gas Ultra Strength
Baby Gasz
Equilizer Gas Relief
Gas Aid Maximum Strength
Gas-X
Genasyme
Maalox Anti-Gas
Mylanta Gas
Mylicon
Mytab Gas
Phazyme
Simethicone (generic)

Canadian Brand Names

Extra Strength Maalox GRF Gas Relief Formula
Baby's Own Infant Drops
Maalox GRF Gas Relief Formula
Ovol
Ovol-40
Ovol-80
Ovol-160
Phazyme Drops
Phazyme-95
Phazyme-125

Dosage:

Simethicone Liquid:For an acute gas attack, 1-2 cc of a liquid baby gas med (20mg/ml suspension) can be given as often as every hour for three doses, then 1 cc every three to eight hours.

Simethicone Tablets: Rabbits often will readily chew a fruit or other flavoredtablet. Depending on the strength of the medication (it usually ranges from 40 to 125 mg suspensions) and the size of the rabbit, anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 of a tablet is an average dose.It also should only be administered hourly for three hours, or in accordancewiththe instructions on the package.

Preventative: If you suspect gas but you're not sure, 1 cc by mouth 2 times daily for a day or twowill help keep anygas moving through your bun's digestive tract.

Note: It's important to treat for gas as soon as the bunny shows signs of discomfort. A rabbitallowed to suffer gas pains foran extended period of time will lose it's appetite and/or can potentially go into shock, see a drop inbody temperature and other problems.

Well it could just be that he is super hungry from not being fed, if it keeps going on you should try giving him rabbit milk in a babies bottle or something just make the hole bigger, also clean out his cage and make sure he is deffinately a boy and that he hasn't had any other encounters with another boy but my rabbit is 1 day pregnant and I haven't heard anything but them again only 1 day. If this keeps happening then you should tell your parents and beg them to go the the bets because if he didn't get fed for that log then it could possibly be that he was so hungry he are something on the grass or in his cage that his body doesn't agree with (not sure how they handle their own poo) I hope he gets better and that this was good information :D

He has plenty of food inside his pen. He is a male,I was taught from my FFA Advisor how to properly sex rabbit from age 4 months up and he's almost a year old now. Last night I dug around for myself and found that it was probably built up gas. I don't know what caused it but after a little bit it subsided. If it happens again then I'll have to try something.

It sounds like he has gas- there is something called infacol that is for infants with gas- I got some from my grocery store in the baby section- you can give that to your rabbit for gas. Dosage depends on the size of the rabbit. Its supposed to be safe for rabbits. If you want to give it a try google "rabbits gas infacol dosage" you should be able to find the right dosage by googling.

Thank you,I'll have to try and get it but like I said,my Dad is busy with work and my sister usually refuses to drive me. I have some pedialite,I read somewhere that that could help them,should I give him some? After awhile it had subsided. He's on a regular diet of alfalfa pellets and Timothy hay so I don't think it's a sugar problem,I wonder what caused it though and I hope it doesn't happen again :/

Loud gurgling is caused by gas. With your rabbit not being fed for 2 days, the food wouldn't be moving through his digestive tract so the bacterial balance would start to alter causing bad bacteria to grow, creating gas. If he is eating and pooping ok, and is acting normally, best thing to do would be to keep a really close eye on him. Make sure his eating is normal, his poop is normal size and consistency, and that he doesn't start showing any signs of discomfort or pain. If he stops eating and pooping or it's significantly reduced, and is showing signs of pain, you need to get him to the vet as he is likely developing GI stasis. It would also be good to not feed sugary starchy treats for a few days, and if there are signs of a gut slowdown(really tiny fecal poop) then stop pellets and feed only hay for a few days til the poop looks normal again, then slowly reintroduce the pellets.

How is he doing?

He's doing just peachy :) I came home from school and was worried because he was just lying in a corner of his cage. As soon as I opened it so I could clean it he took off and started blinkying around my room,cuddling up to me,teases Lewis ect.

I also made sure to check,and he seems to have had regular bowel movements. I think it may have been a one time thing,though I guess we'll just have to play it by ear?

Oh,and he's mad at me right now...I was petting a bunny at a petting zoo and forgot to wash my hands. He smelled my hands and gave me this shocked expression,now he won't even look at me...): I can't win with him.

Yay! I'm happy to here he is ok now. :D
Can't believe your sister didn't feed him!.

Yay! I'm happy to here he is ok now. :D
Can't believe your sister didn't feed him!.

She isn't good with animals...they both hate her...so do the cats...animals just don't like her...it's actually kinda sad...

Wash your hands and get him his favourite vegetable :) that works and give him a big pat, if this doesn't work put him in a safe place where he can't run away in the backyard and put the hose on mist setting and spray him, all my rabbits love it because it actually deals like must just make sure it isn't cold or windy

How is he doing now, chirped up and 100% I hope so, he sounded like a wonderful rabbit :)

Latest posts

Back