PLEASE HELP!!! GI stasis (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mochi_the_bun

Reaction score
Hello, so I have a 4-year-old Netherland dwarf rabbit who has gone into GI stasis maybe 8 times already.

This time he hasn’t pooped in 3 days

I took him to the vet, and I couldn't afford to get an x-ray so I'm not 100% sure what the problem is.😕

I'm pretty sure it's an intestinal blockage/obstruction, and the only way to fix that would be to take him to 2 hrs away from where I live and have them do surgery

I just found out today that they wouldn't be able to see him since he doesn't have the RHDV2 vaccine🤦🏻‍♀️ and surgery would be $2,000+ And I don’t have that kind of money.

They gave me an antibiotic to give to him every 12hrs for the next few weeks. I'm continuing to give the SARx small animal rescue to him, I've given him baby gas drops, and I have Oxbows critical care coming tomorrow (since no freaking store in town carries it🤦🏻‍♀️)

I've tried massaging his belly and I can definitely feel lumps (he's not happy and won't sit still when I try to massage his belly)

He keeps laying down and pressing his abdomen to the ground, and sometimes he grinds his teeth. I know those are all signs he's in pain but I don't know what else to do 🥺

I mashed up a little piece of banana and mixed it into a bunch of pieces of hay to get him to eat the hay. It's sort of working. I've also given him a little bit of olive oil and some pineapple juice to maybe help push stuff through

He's still drinking on his own and is eating some greens, but nothing is coming out other than occasionally some bloody sludge looking stuff

Another thing that the vet said is that he may have been born with an intestinal issue since this is the 8 or 9 time he's been backed up in 4 years. He’s also only 1lb 5oz

If there is anything else I can do please let me know, I'm not ready to let my baby go😢

Bloody stool is not a good sign. What antibiotic was prescribed? Did the vet also give sub q fluids and prescribe meloxicam and a gut stimulant like metoclopramide?

Bloody stool is not a good sign. What antibiotic was prescribed? Did the vet also give sub q fluids and prescribe meloxicam and a gut stimulant like metoclopramide
The antibiotic that was prescribed is Metronidazole Suspension for diarrhea

I don’t remember what everything was called since I couldn’t stop crying about the thought of losing Mochi the whole time…but I know that they gave him some kind of fluid in his back that his skin will absorb

Bloody stool is not a good sign. What antibiotic was prescribed? Did the vet also give sub q fluids and prescribe meloxicam and a gut stimulant like metoclopramide?
I just picked up some meloxicam from the vet👍🏻

Without having xrays or other tests to try and figure out exactly what's going on, it would just be continuing with the meds and syringe feeding and hope it's enough. One thing to consider with there being bloody stool, is the possibility of there being another issue like coccidiosis, ingesting a toxin, or something like a gastric ulcer, or possibly a mass, that is the root cause of the stasis, and not a blockage. Or if the blood happens to be urinary and got mixed with the stool, it could be a UTI, bladder sludge or stones/kidney stones. With a UTI, you would need a different antibiotic.

Without having xrays or other tests to try and figure out exactly what's going on, it would just be continuing with the meds and syringe feeding and hope it's enough. One thing to consider with there being bloody stool, is the possibility of there being another issue like coccidiosis, ingesting a toxin, or something like a gastric ulcer, or possibly a mass, that is the root cause of the stasis, and not a blockage. Or if the blood happens to be urinary and got mixed with the stool, it could be a UTI, bladder sludge or stones/kidney stones. With a UTI, you would need a different antibiotic.
I’m pretty sure it’s nothing to do with his bladder, since he’s peeing regular yellow urine separately. I did notice that when I cleaned up the bloody sludge off of the floor a few minutes ago I saw it had the tiniest bit off brown in it which is the first bit of brown I’ve seen in 4 days!

Would I be able to do any kind of enema at home for him? Maybe that would help get things to move correctly? Or can I use any essential oils that help gut stimulation? (obviously I wouldn’t let him ingest them) I think I’ll be able to take him to the vet again on Saturday and ask more questions

Pain meds first priority. Sounds like you got that and give it regularly until he is pooping normal. Continue with gas med-infant Mylicon. The vet should have given you something to stimulate his gut/bowels usually a drug called Reglan (Metoclopramide). If you don't have any, call the vet that saw him and ask to pick some up. This is essential to get his gut working again. Belly massages are good but he may not tolerate if painful so make sure pain meds are on board for an hour before attempting. While waiting for critical care, take pellets and soak them in water. They will dissolve and give the mixture via syringe feedings. My advice is specific to gi stasis which it sounds like we aren't 100% sure this is. Spritz his veges if he will eat with water for extra fluids. Watch for improvement, poops, more mobile. I hope this helps. Lots of love during this process too!

Pain meds first priority. Sounds like you got that and give it regularly until he is pooping normal. Continue with gas med-infant Mylicon. The vet should have given you something to stimulate his gut/bowels usually a drug called Reglan (Metoclopramide). If you don't have any, call the vet that saw him and ask to pick some up. This is essential to get his gut working again. Belly massages are good but he may not tolerate if painful so make sure pain meds are on board for an hour before attempting. While waiting for critical care, take pellets and soak them in water. They will dissolve and give the mixture via syringe feedings. My advice is specific to gi stasis which it sounds like we aren't 100% sure this is. Spritz his veges if he will eat with water for extra fluids. Watch for improvement, poops, more mobile. I hope this helps. Lots of love during this process too!
He had 2 pieces of poop come out last night which was the first bit of poop I've seen in 4 days! No more poop this morning and he is very lethargic😕 I've given him some pumpkin and Oxbow critical care today

I called the vet and they said they don't give animals Metoclopramide because it involves an IV and overnight hospitalization. But I look online and I can order some from chewy.com and it says it's safe🤷🏻‍♀️ so now I'm really confused

If that's what the vet is saying then they aren't knowledgeable rabbit vets. Metoclopramide is prescribed to rabbits for at home oral administration frequently. Usually anytime a rabbit goes into GI stasis, but doesn't have a complete obstruction or bloat.

Your rabbit doesn't sound like he's doing well. I would be very concerned with his deteriorating condition. If at all possible, I would highly urge finding a more experienced rabbit vet to take him to, immediately today, even if a bit of a drive is needed to get to a good rabbit vet.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

He had 2 pieces of poop come out last night which was the first bit of poop I've seen in 4 days! No more poop this morning and he is very lethargic😕 I've given him some pumpkin and Oxbow critical care today

I called the vet and they said they don't give animals Metoclopramide because it involves an IV and overnight hospitalization. But I look online and I can order some from chewy.com and it says it's safe🤷🏻‍♀️ so now I'm really confused
That's ridiculous! Metoclopramide usually comes in a vial and after you draw up the correct dose, you can give it orally (just like the metcam) or even SQ (subcutaneously). It probably doesn't taste very good so I would mix it with the Mylicon or with a little baby food by spoon or by syringe. When I have taken my bun to the vet for early gi stasis after they give some fluids under the skin and administer the first round of meds, they have always sent me home with pain med and Metoclopramide pre drawn up in syringes based on his weight. I don't understand why he did not do that. Mylicon is over the counter. Is he drinking? I'm really concerned about him. If he is "lethargic" this is a very bad sign and he could die. I know $ is an issue but he needs to go back to the Vet or to a different vet ASAP. I'm not trying to scare you. Just being honest. Gi stasis can kill a bun in under 24 hours. Not sure he will make it until morning. If you absolutely cannot get him to a vet tonight, keep up with the pain med AROUND THE CLOCK and the Mylicon. Syringe feed critical care and mix with extra water for hydration (but give it slow so he doesn't choke) every few hours. Get him to a vet in the am. Good luck!

If that's what the vet is saying then they aren't knowledgeable rabbit vets. Metoclopramide is prescribed to rabbits for at home oral administration frequently. Usually anytime a rabbit goes into GI stasis, but doesn't have a complete obstruction or bloat.

Your rabbit doesn't sound like he's doing well. I would be very concerned with his deteriorating condition. If at all possible, I would highly urge finding a more experienced rabbit vet to take him to, immediately today, even if a bit of a drive is needed to get to a good rabbit vet.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
I've called 3 other vets and all of them have said they don't see rabbits, they don't sell metoclopramide anymore, or they don't sell metoclopramide over the counter. I'm getting really frustrated cause I can't get it from anywhere 😣

That's ridiculous! Metoclopramide usually comes in a vial and after you draw up the correct dose, you can give it orally (just like the metcam) or even SQ (subcutaneously). It probably doesn't taste very good so I would mix it with the Mylicon or with a little baby food by spoon or by syringe. When I have taken my bun to the vet for early gi stasis after they give some fluids under the skin and administer the first round of meds, they have always sent me home with pain med and Metoclopramide pre drawn up in syringes based on his weight. I don't understand why he did not do that. Mylicon is over the counter. Is he drinking? I'm really concerned about him. If he is "lethargic" this is a very bad sign and he could die. I know $ is an issue but he needs to go back to the Vet or to a different vet ASAP. I'm not trying to scare you. Just being honest. Gi stasis can kill a bun in under 24 hours. Not sure he will make it until morning. If you absolutely cannot get him to a vet tonight, keep up with the pain med AROUND THE CLOCK and the Mylicon. Syringe feed critical care and mix with extra water for hydration (but give it slow so he doesn't choke) every few hours. Get him to a vet in the am. Good luck!
I've called 3 other vets and all of them have said they don't see rabbits, they don't sell metoclopramide anymore, or they don't sell metoclopramide over the counter. I'm getting really frustrated cause I can't get it from anywhere 😣

Metoclopramide is prescription, so they can't sell it otc. It would require a prescription from your vet. Ranitidine(old formula Zantac) used to be the only otc gut motility med used for rabbits, but it's no longer available for sale due to safety issues. If your vet won't prescribe metoclopramide, cisapride is another gut stimulant prescribed for rabbits, but because your rabbit is showing signs of having intestinal bleeding, it would be contraindicated and not appropriate to give.

Though a gut stimulant may be helpful, I think there is something more serious going on with your rabbit, and it will take more than a gut stimulant to help in this situation. But of course this is just a guess on my part based on your description of your rabbits condition. Blood in the stool means something is bleeding in there, which means there is something that is causing this bleeding, and is a sign something very serious could be wrong, more so than standard GI stasis from an upset stomach or slowed gut motility.

Which state do you live in? Maybe someone on here from a state nearby can give a vet recommendation if you let us know.

I understand your frustration. Does he seem in less pain with the Metacam and Mylicon on a scheduled basis? If no, you've got to get him to a vet that sees bunnies ASAP. Any poops? If not, please take him back to the vet that gave him the fluids and rx'd the Metacam. Sounds like he is willing to see the Bun. Bottom line, he needs another exam and a belly xray. No getting around it. Talk to them about a payment plan if you have too. Please, get him seen ASAP.

Latest posts

Back