Please help, emergency! - Rabbit has diarrhea

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floyd2019

Reaction score
My rabbit has intermittent soft cecotropes but today they are the worst I've ever seen them.
It looked like mostly diarrhea all a golden brown like his fecal pellets and only a few regular pellets.
Last night he was eating his cecotropes amd i thought he was doing better.
I don't know if this is true diarrhea or I've just never seen it get this bad?
He didn't get excited to see me this morning and i have to go to work. My vet is away until next week i don't know what to do
I'm sobbing before work
Please help

Attachments

• 20190725_083052.jpg
    20190725_083052.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 26
I would find another rabbit vet immediately and go. His lack of energy is not a good either. I understand you need to go to work, but this needs immediate attention.

I would find another rabbit vet immediately and go. His lack of energy is not a good either. I understand you need to go to work, but this needs immediate attention.
Yeah. I called every vet in amd around my town and no one knows anything about rabbits. I just found out my rabbt vet that is out of town actually retired. And even when i called the pet hospital they said they don't have a rabbit vet until sunday.
My mom just told me i have to either get rid of the rabbit or move out so i don't know what to do. I have called everyone. One vet who didn't have time to see him just told me to give him more probiotics. And my mom wants me to find someone to take him but who wants a sick rabbit. I don't know what to do i don't want to get rid of him but i can't afford a new house

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It is ultimately your decision. I will say it really sounds like what your rabbit needs most is someone who has the resources and capabilities to take care of his current health situation, because it sounds dire. What it is absolutely heart-breaking to rehome a pet, finding someone who you know will take great care of him would be much more fulfilling them seeing him potentially suffer and pass with you. It's evident you care for him and want what's best.

Regarding "who wants a sick rabbit", I would contact rabbit rescues, and there are lots of compassionate people who may want to help. I'm unsure where you are in Canada, but there is a chapter of the House Rabbit Society in Vancouver. At the least, you may want to reach out to them and ask them for their input and suggestions. Maybe they know of someone in your area who could help: https://www.vrra.org/wp-beta1/

Call a vet.

What does your rabbit’s diet look like? I have read that poop problems can be linked to hay consumption. Some rabbits won’t eat as much hay if there are pellets and fresh veg always available. Maybe by reducing the fresh veg, especially the less fibrous veg, your rabbit will eat more hay. Hay can help fix many poop problems. More hay is always better.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It is ultimately your decision. I will say it really sounds like what your rabbit needs most is someone who has the resources and capabilities to take care of his current health situation, because it sounds dire. What it is absolutely heart-breaking to rehome a pet, finding someone who you know will take great care of him would be much more fulfilling them seeing him potentially suffer and pass with you. It's evident you care for him and want what's best.

Regarding "who wants a sick rabbit", I would contact rabbit rescues, and there are lots of compassionate people who may want to help. I'm unsure where you are in Canada, but there is a chapter of the House Rabbit Society in Vancouver. At the least, you may want to reach out to them and ask them for their input and suggestions. Maybe they know of someone in your area who could help: https://www.vrra.org/wp-beta1/
I have been providing him with a better home than anyone could. That's why I'm heartbroken. I've managed his ISC and financially supported it. But my mom is my landlord and when she saw the poop this morning when she came to visit she told me i either get rid of him or get out. And i am 24 and a university student, i can afford my rabbit but i can't afford to move house right now and my mom knows that. So i am absolutely sick to my stomach. Don't invite your mom to your house is my new motto. I'm devastated and sick.
A vet i called told me to put him back on his probiotics for now and i have an appt with a vet in town for sunday but i still have to get rid of my baby. I'm scared to think of giving him to someone who would keep him in a too small cage for his life. Here i keep him in a giant x pen and he has his own room to run around in during the day. He is spoiled beyond amd is very bonded to me. We cuddle all night, and i can't imagine my life without him.

Call a vet.

What does your rabbit’s diet look like? I have read that poop problems can be linked to hay consumption. Some rabbits won’t eat as much hay if there are pellets and fresh veg always available. Maybe by reducing the fresh veg, especially the less fibrous veg, your rabbit will eat more hay. Hay can help fix many poop problems. More hay is always better.
He only eats hay and bok choy

You clearly care for him very much. This situation must be so distressing, I'm sorry you're going through this. I have a rabbit who is very medically demanding, and yes, the thought of him going somewhere with someone who doesn't take care of him would make me livid. What exactly is your mom's concern? Is it smell or household appearance? For example, you got a covered litter box or something, would she still complain?

I'm trying to recall from your other thread, but were pellets a big instigator of soft poops? A healthy gut comes from staying away from upsetting foods, but also by making sure good bacteria is in there too. I would also say it could be possible bok choy may be problematic, but it just takes some time to build up? I'm not a gut biologist, but I can think of times I don't feel upset after eating something until a while afterwards. Just brainstorming out loud right now.

You clearly care for him very much. This situation must be so distressing, I'm sorry you're going through this. I have a rabbit who is very medically demanding, and yes, the thought of him going somewhere with someone who doesn't take care of him would make me livid. What exactly is your mom's concern? Is it smell or household appearance? For example, you got a covered litter box or something, would she still complain?

I'm trying to recall from your other thread, but were pellets a big instigator of soft poops? A healthy gut comes from staying away from upsetting foods, but also by making sure good bacteria is in there too. I would also say it could be possible bok choy may be problematic, but it just takes some time to build up? I'm not a gut biologist, but I can think of times I don't feel upset after eating something until a while afterwards. Just brainstorming out loud right now.
She never wanted me to get a pet. I had always wanted a dog and she said no. But i live in a city away from her for university and she bought a house for my sister and i and a friend to rent from her. Her one rule was no dogs. Ive lived here pet free for 3ish years now but I started to get really lonely and got a rabbit, my mom let it go and everything was fine but now she saw the diarrhea and thinks he is more trouble than he is worth and thinks I'm spending all of my money on him. Which is not true as he was ISC free for a long while up until now.

It could be the bok choy, but my old vet (who now retired on me) is the one who solved his last bought of sticky stool with probiotics and bok choy. So that was to be his diet. I never gave too much bok choy and his diet was mostly hay. When he started getting ISC again a week or so ago I immediately removed the bok choy and put him on a hay diet which helped for 4 days and theb it came back. So i got his probiotics back out but they didn't seem to be helping so I took him off them and put him on all hay again. He's been on all hay now for a weekish and only today did his stool get crazy runny like diarrhea.

The vet i talked to on the phone told me to go back on probiotics but didn't seem to be too concerned. He kept telling me it didn't sound like an emergency. So i don't know... i guess i have to keep monitoring his eating. The vet also told me to give him pellets. I'm concerned about that because introducing new foods at a delicate time seems wrong but he said it helps with digestion?

Yeah i am very stressed, never thought i would be put into this situation. Am currently looking around for a rabbit friendly house, if not i have to surrender him to either a new home or a shelter before September.

UPDATE
His diarrhea has calmed down a bit. I have seen a couple regular fecal pellets amd the soft poo has more round and formed parts to it rather than the previous straight mush. He is eating his cardboard box and does not want to eat his hay. Not sure if that's an urge to play and chew or if he is actually hungry but not interested in the hay (standard Timothy hay) he is currently chewing on a timothy stick so I'm hoping he will make his way over to his hay bin... i have hand fed him some hay and he ate it...

I am currently beghing my mom to let me keep him. I don't know how to deal with the issue of her trying to force me to get rid of him. It's breaking my heart and I don't think i can. His condition is too particular and no one else would put as much time, money and research into his care as i have. So i may have to move out of my current house (my mom is the landlord) and try and find somewhere rabbit/pet friendly that isn't too expensive. It's awful because my mom and i put so much love and care into this townhouse and it is my home. I don't know what else to do..

Maybe you can offer lots of hay sources, to work with his natural instinct to forage and peak that curiosity. Grab toilet paper tubes, small boxes, etc, and try putting hay in each of them and put them around him. See if that helps him with hay consumption!

I don't want to really advise between you and your mother, but have you tried asking what would make your mother OK with you keeping him while also staying where you are. So you're not ignoring her ultimatum, but having her provide some potential flexibility you can work with, while you have no flexibility with that ultimatum.

Hi, firstly you need to stop panicking. So your rabbit has diarrhea that's not the end of the world, it's an experience. He will get better, just keep him on hay a few days and give him some herbal tea, you can use mint is good for upset stomach, other herbs but try one at a time. The idea is to clean his stomach and give him what is healthy for him it is hay and he will get back on tracks.
When you were a baby I am pretty sure you've had this sort of experience too and now you are 23 year old woman and it's good that you got your emotions out but now you just go wash your face and make some tea and try to relax and it is great that you can ask here we are with you and anything you ask we know the answer better than your vet :)

For your mother I think there's no need to panic right now because she gave you more than one month to think and decide so maybe you stay focused on your bunnies health for a few days and when it is fixed you can start thinking about your options.

You are not a baby you are 23 and many people at this age renting and have no support from their parents, some people have no parents at all and many of them survive so if you think that your situation is bad I can assure you that there's always someone who's situation is worst than yours. But for now you just don't put every problem into one you try to fix one at a time and you still have time to think about your accommodation later.

I am really falling into my bed now as it is almost 4am where I am now but as I said you just need to relax and keep yourself together as panicking would never help you or your bunny.

Hi, firstly you need to stop panicking. So your rabbit has diarrhea that's not the end of the world, it's an experience. He will get better, just keep him on hay a few days and give him some herbal tea, you can use mint is good for upset stomach, other herbs but try one at a time. The idea is to clean his stomach and give him what is healthy for him it is hay and he will get back on tracks.
When you were a baby I am pretty sure you've had this sort of experience too and now you are 23 year old woman and it's good that you got your emotions out but now you just go wash your face and make some tea and try to relax and it is great that you can ask here we are with you and anything you ask we know the answer better than your vet :)

For your mother I think there's no need to panic right now because she gave you more than one month to think and decide so maybe you stay focused on your bunnies health for a few days and when it is fixed you can start thinking about your options.

You are not a baby you are 23 and many people at this age renting and have no support from their parents, some people have no parents at all and many of them survive so if you think that your situation is bad I can assure you that there's always someone who's situation is worst than yours. But for now you just don't put every problem into one you try to fix one at a time and you still have time to think about your accommodation later.

I am really falling into my bed now as it is almost 4am where I am now but as I said you just need to relax and keep yourself together as panicking would never help you or your bunny.
Thank you, this was literally what i needed to hear right now. I love all of the advice i get but sometimes people tell me that my rabbit will die withing 24r hours if i don't get to a vet asap and that does throw me into a state of stress.
As for my mom, i know i have it pretty good. But she is a stubborn woman and I'm not sure how this will play out. It's hard when your heart is on the line.
Thank you again, have a good night.

You're welcome :)

Btw, while I was trying to save you here my rabbit made a huge hole in my sleeping bag. Was my fav sleeping bag. Night night.

Update:

This morning he has very little poo at all. Some liquid stuff with a few mishaspen small fecal pellets and that's about it. I'm trying to get him to eat hay but he won't. He just keeps chewing cardboard and then going into his box to hide.
I got him to take some of his probiotics this morning but I'm not sure if it will help.
He has poop on his face from where he tried to eat his liquid cecotropes.
It's making me sad and scared. I am worried that having a vet appointment on Sunday only is too long amd he won't make it. Trying not to panic but if he continues to not eat I don't know what to do...
I have to go to work and worry about him all day

Attachments

• 20190726_072013.jpg
    20190726_072013.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 6
Maybe try stuffing cardboard toilet paper rolls and other his toys with hay or I know there are special pellets made of hay for rabbits who don't want eat hay on their own

BunnyToysAug11079.jpg

810ffb291c5757ae75e827dd236aedd0.jpg

Braid a ring of hay maybe he'll like it
00477aa68f13f1e71fa0e03b1e96062b--bunny-toys-bunny-bunny.jpg

Fill a cardboard box with hay maybe he can use it as his digging bx and will eat some too.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've seen him eating and I even started him on some pellets that I had never fed him because my other vet said no pellets, but the vet on the phone said give pellets. He definitely ate some today which is good. 1 more day and then i get to take him to a rabbit vet which i am way too excited about. I personally think it's some kind of bacterial infection or something, maybe a parasite or common worm? He has some mucous sometimes... other than that it could just be ISC and he will struggle with it. Which i hope isn't the case.

Attachments

• 20190726_221944.jpg
    20190726_221944.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 12
Treating for possible worms is one of the easier things to try. So that's something I would definitely try first. If you have panacur rabbit otc in Canada, I would even give it a shot before going into the vet. But that's me. Definitely don't do it yourself if you aren't comfortable dosing and administering meds.

All of the symptoms you are seeing can be caused by parasites. Though there are other possibilities too.

Latest posts

Back