PLEASE HELP Dental problems and not eating:Vet suggested potential PTS, how long do anti-biotics take to work?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naomiboo

Reaction score
2 weeks ago we sadly lost our lovely girl Puck after nearly 9 years together (she was 11) leaving our lovely boy Ian (8.5) alone. He was ok for the first few days after she passed but then went off his food. For a couple of days he was eating less so I supplemented with recovery and got him into the vets. He had had emergency dental surgery 6 weeks prior to this after seeing a stand in vet who missed the problem so we thought it couldn't be his teeth again. But it turned out it was his teeth and he needed dental surgery THAT DAY. He was coping ok after the surgery, but not eating much alone (loving recovery but not eating lots on hid own unless food is put right under his nose and it takes a long time for him to chew). Since thursday he's gotten worse and yesterday we took him to the vets and she felt his jaw and moved it around and he showed no discomfort and could not see anything wrong when looking in his mouth but she said there was a smell that could indicate an infection, potentially of the tooth root. He's been put on antibiotics and metachlopromide. He was eating bits yesterday but not a lot and by this morning he was refusing to eat anything.

We took him back to the vets today and she said we have two choices, to keep trying or to decide he's been through enough and put him to sleep. He's not in complete stasis but is refusing to eat anything. I'm having to force recovery and even that he's managing to spit some of it out. Right up until yesterday no matter how stressed or ill he's been he's never resisted fibreplex but this morning he wouldnt even take that. The only thing he has taken willingly is metacam. I said I'd like to keep trying so we are still giving the metochlopromide, anti-biotics and feeding recovery and he's had a pain killer injection (as he did yesterday).

For a week after the surgery he was slowly getting better. Eating lots of recovery (only if offered by syringe and warm, but would happily have 15ml at a time) and was taking the odd treat or leaf but taking a really long time to chew. His poos were pretty much back to normal. but from thursday he's been eating less and less willingly. Now he's gone right downhill. She said it wont be a bad reaction to the painkillers or the anti-biotics so to keep going with them and hope we can keep him going long enough for the anti-biotics to start working but if he's not better by monday she said he's been through enough and to put him to sleep.

I feel so bad about the stress we're causing him because she's said to force feed him 10ml of recovery every hour, plus all the meds. I just really hope it works so it feels worth it! He's been through so much in 2 weeks, I feel so bad for him :( Does anyone know how long antibiotics take to have effect? Am I doing everything I can? Is there a chance he will be OK and would recover from dentals in the future or am I being selfish putting him through this? Thank you <3

Did the vet give you any metacam? If he has an infection, he might be experiencing pain in his mouth which is stopping him from eating.

Thank you,

Yes he is on metacam at the moment and some buprecare plus gut stimulants and antibiotics. Still having to force feed him. Really hope he gets some appetite back soon :(

I would go to someone else.

Ex.For a dog I took to the emergency vet and was miss diagnosed and told to PTS I couldn't do that to her so I went to two more vets who relied on the emergency vets diagnosis and a fourth who diagnosed a tumor (that she did have) but not the issue. I needed up traveling to another vet who I knew to confirm the 4rd vets diagnosis(as I thought the tumor was the issue). She had to go into emergency surgery. While she did have the tumor the third vet diagnosed it wasn't the problem..
The first antibiotic she was on she had a severe reaction (she was allergic and began bleeding out ) and antibiotic 2 was not working even tho we did a sensitivity test. Her infection was so severe she needed emergent surgery. I had to syringe feed her and give her water via syringe and those iv baggies. It was really hard on everyone and am so thankful for God and the 4th vet. If I had listened to vet 1 she would have been put to sleep because of something she didn't have.

This type of scenario happened twice in the last 5 years with dogs. Lucky I haven't had any real emergency with any "exotic" animals.

Thank you all,

We saw our proper vet yesterday (she wasn't in on saturday so we had to see who was available) and she's given us a different type of painkiller to try and said to continue with the antibiotics because they can take a week to take effect. The AB is 'sulfatrim' though and the bottle says it's for gastrointestinal infections but we think it's a tooth root infection so I'm worried it might not work, but our vet is on the RWVL and is very experienced with rabbits so I'm assuming there's a good reason to try that one first?

Can you do a culture on the infection? Maybe seek a another opinion. I am very sorry you are going thru this. Is this the vet you've been seeing?

Thank you all,

The AB is 'sulfatrim' though and the bottle says it's for gastrointestinal infections but we think it's a tooth root infection so I'm worried it might not work, but our vet is on the RWVL and is very experienced with rabbits so I'm assuming there's a good reason to try that one first?

See my reply on the other thread about sulfatrim. If it were my bunny, I'd try another vet as others have said, especially if skull xrays were not done, or at least ask to get him on a different antibiotic (chloramphenicol or combipen injections if a tooth root infection is involved). Tooth root infections easily turn into abscesses with anaerobic bacteria involved.

Latest posts

Back